HybridZ

Tipping the car ?'s

I have been searching for a couple hours now and can't seem to find what I want.

Is it safe to tip the car up on one side? Either with no suspension (just the shell) or with just the necessary suspension to keep the wheels on the car (the wheels taken off the side being lifted of course.) I am thinking that about 3’ up would be more than enough room. I could swear I’ve seen it done before, but I could be wrong because I cant find any evidence of it.

A friend and I are both prepping our Z’s so that we can sandblast them in a couple of weeks. We will be doing these ourselves since we have access to the equipment and a place outdoors to do it. We just can't justify building a rotisserie just to blast them. I am more than content with painting the underside and running all the piping and wiring with it just sitting on jack stands if we can avoid the hassle and cost of building a rotisserie.

We only need open access to the underside long enough to blast them really well. The only worries I have of lifting one side up, with the wheels on the bottom side, is any side loading tweaking the suspension parts. And with no suspension having it ding up the rocker panels and the bottom of the rear fenders. But if either of these concerns can be safely disregarded (hopefully with some personal experience or proof that it is ok to do) it will be a big load off my mind.

Thanks in advance for any help.

After I finished the tube front end on mine, I needed to prep and paint the bottom of the car (from the rear crossmember forward). The front suspension was removed and there was no drivetrain or interior. The rear suspension was installed, so I grabbed the two front frame rails and rolled the car out of the garage like a big wheel barrow. Once in the driveway, I blocked the rear tires and stood the car up until the rear valance was almost on the ground. I secured it in this position with a rope up to a tree limb above. I was then easily able to scrape, clean and paint the underside of the car.

• Administrators

You mean like this?...

EarlySledgeE.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to do it with the suspension under the car. Of course, the usual safety precaution's apply, but I don't see where it would hurt the car. However, I would not do it without the suspension/wheels.

• Administrators

Everyone is entitled to thier point of view. The gentleman doing the power-washing understood the 'potentials' and avoided setting himself up. That is the key isn't it... understanding the risks and giving them their due attention?

• Administrators
I was poking fun at the picture. I was not criticizing. I'm quite sure that my situation looked just as comical to innocent bystanders.

Yup, it was comical as hell watching the passerby's expressions :mrgreen:

Ron, can I get your permission to put a 'GOOD P.P.E., BAD O.R.M.' tag on that picture and put it up on a bulletin board at my squadron? I can see the straps on the roof(tied to the truck's trailer hitch, perchance?), but at first glance, it really does look as if the car is completely unsupported.

...purely for humor value, of course. The last squadron I was at had a big official USAF published poster on one of the doors in the inspection dock

of a crew chief caught 'mid-hop' while trying to see down into the oil filler tube on a KC-135R's #4 engine. It's a bit high off the ground to see into without a step ladder, but he was determined!