HybridZ

Ford E350 motor question conversion

VinhZXT

If it's the 5.4 then it's not a bad motor, just huge and a tight fit in a Z. Gobs of potential though. These motors (2 valve Mod Motor) are dropping in value and we might see more S30 cars with them yet. If only there was a cheap aluminium block availible...

I did some searching and found some specs for this motor. 17MPH on highway and 13 for the city. Damn it drinks that much gas for a 255HP motor? It still good for a daily driver I think. I will try to search for some easy mods to get to 300HP. If I get this motor I will put it in my stock 240Z.

It's mostly because of the weight of the vehicle. In a Z that motor would get well over 20 highway I bet.

Don't expect a ton of bolt on HP gains. Kenne bell has done hundreds of dynos with press present that prove how little most bolt on mods do for mod motors, it's even worse with the new 3 valve motors. Pretty much ALL aftermarket manifolds are worse than stock for average HP and torque, and give up considerable amount of low and mid range power for a minimal high RPM increase.

Though I'm sure if you were running open pipes with a ECU tuned to use premium gas you should be able to get it close to 300hp. Byond that you might as well just supercharge it. If you do that and drop the 4k+ for a kenne bell then you'll be looking at the neighborhood of 400+ wheel hp on the stock longblock. I believe they can get over 450 on mostly stock parts as well.

Ahhh.... umm, please look into how freakin large this thing is as well.

I'll find the guy who posted pics of his SOHC install (same exact external dimensions I think).

It's extremely tight, and I can't remember how different the S130 engine bay is from the S30. (though now for the first time ever I own both, so I can compare them).

Expect to be running into quite a few fitment problems. I'll just get the pics.

Ok, here's the link to the guy who's done it. And I forgot, he's running the DOHC motor, which A: Is all aluminium and B: A bit wider

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112543&highlight=4.6+ford

And here's a pic that's quite common, yet hard to find at those times you're looking for it most.

5.0%20vs%204.6%20comparison.jpg

Not though that the 5.0 motor is sitting quite a bit lower, and the 4.6 isn't much talled with both motor's oem oil pans and intakes on. It's just the width that's quite different.

The mod motor definately has LSx type potential though, just won't see as much NA HP readily availble due to lack of cubic inches. With force induction they hold up quite well.

I appreciate the info very much. Yep I will definitely measure the width and height of the whole thing before I buy it. Just curious do you know what type of auto trans does this thing has in it? and can I use it for another motor? Thanks

V.

Yea, that's not a bad price at all. If it were an 04' aluminium block mod motor I'd buy that in a heart beat.

No clue what I'd do with it. :D

One thing makes me curious though....

You said it was a DOHC motor... According to wiki (which could very well be wrong, it was the SOHC that came in the E series from 97to now. I wonder if you're mistaken or if the motor had been swapped. If so.... from what?

The motor looks like the one on the left of the picture you posted above. The heads hang down on both sides of the block and it's huge. I've check and 2004 has the 5.4L motor but it doesn't say DOHC or SOHC. The heads look huge so I am assuming it's DOHC. If I get the motor and swap out with some nice heads with SOHC it should fit the Z nicely and making a little more HP. Let me search around for some heads for this motor.

Lemme find a bunch of pics so we can nail it down.

Here's the 3 valve triton 5.4

f15013.jpg

Here's a 5.4 SOHC from a ford F250

P1460229.jpg

Here's a 5.4 DOHC Heads are from the lincoln navigator

mmfp_0711_02_z+ford_modular_motor_intake_manifold_test+ported_navigator_heads.jpg

Here's a 99' 4.6 SOHC

0302mm_103zoom+1995_Ford_Mustang_Cobra+Underhood_Engine.jpg

The new GT500 Mod motor, DOHC

photo_01.html

Another DOHC 4.6

m5lp_0711_05_z+ford_mustang+engine_swap_guide.jpg

Judging by the intake, I believe this is one of the earlier DOHC Cobra motors (96-98)

m5lp_0711_07_z+ford_mustang+engine_swap_guide.jpg

Here's a great shot of the navigator DOHC 5.4, which is probably similar to what the engine would look like in the E350 if it were indeed DOHC

m5lp_0711_10_z+ford_mustang+engine_swap_guide.jpg

That's all I got for now. I need to get to doing some work around here. :D