HybridZ

budget lowering questions (dumped)

So I've read through most all of the posts i could find for about 2 days now, and I'm not a car noob, but I am a Z noob. So my question is what would I need to get the s30 fairly dumped, that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I've read the posts about coilovers, sectioning struts, blah blah blah. lowering springs are not enough drop for me. I can spend some dough (college student some means not so much), and I have a welding class at college for the nest 3 months, so I can do some fabbing stuff. I will never cut springs or retarded stuff like that.but I know you guys have lotsa info you could share.

Thanks fellas

So I've read through most all of the posts i could find for about 2 days now, and I'm not a car noob, but I am a Z noob. So my question is what would I need to get the s30 fairly dumped, that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I've read the posts about coilovers, sectioning struts, blah blah blah. lowering springs are not enough drop for me. I can spend some dough (college student some means not so much), and I have a welding class at college for the nest 3 months, so I can do some fabbing stuff. I will never cut springs or retarded stuff like that.but I know you guys have lotsa info you could share.

Thanks fellas

Smaller wheels and tires, is the easiest way to "dump". :eek: "fairly dumped" is a different story though. What are your "dumping" goals? There are all kinds of "dumps". We need more info. If you are trying out for the "dumpolympics", you need a different "dump" than for, say, "the dumpocross".

by dumped I mean pretty low, but not as low as kennysgreen. Sorry for not being clear, but I'm asking if theres other ways to get the cars stance pretty low without coilovers, or putting nails in my tires like nigel suggested. lowering springs aren't low enough for my tastes. also I don't want to run small wheels.

Kenny, you haven't driven around like that have you?

does anyone have pics of their car on lowering springs so I can see how it stands?

Thanks for the people who actually help.

also If read about the sectioning a little, but do you have any more in depth info on it? do people section there stock struts with the stock springs, and perches? that I don't understand

also hello washingtonians, and fellow nwner (kennysgreen)

btw how many people are going to golden gardens?

There is such a thing as too low. What do you intend to do with the car? Race, Street Race, Show? That will determine the proper way to lower it.

You can lower it right or you an lower it wrong. The problem with wrong is that it may look good, but it will be unsafe. Normally you are height limited on the S30 by the frame rails being so low, and the control arm angles going into never-never land.

Then you are looking at coilovers, with probable sectioned struts, and possible relocation of front LCA inner bushings up and out. To do it right that low, I would start considering adjustable control arms, front and rear, with camber strut mounts. Not cheap. You are going to lose a lot of "street-comfort" also.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

http://www.arizonazcar.com/strassy.html

but Theres no way to get another 1.5 inchout out of it without dropping all that dough on on coilovers?

Sure.You need lowering springs and not to have 18" wheels.But you need to understand what the whole strut sectioning thing is about.You can lower your car until the cows come home with stock struts but the more you do so the less and less "bump travel" you have.Bump travel being your tires ability to move upwards without bottoming and leaving you with essentially a suspension less car in certain situations = DANGEROUS!

By sectioning or shortening the strut housings you can fit strut cartridges from another model car allowing you to be lowered and have adequate bump travel.Without doing this your suspension will specialize in down travel.With very limited bump.I bought some sweet coilovers for my car which allow me to drop the car considerably.However after seeing my bump travel that is left without removing the bumpstops i realized that i now need to start over again and go with sectioned housings.

So basically if you don't want to end up regretting what you've done,go ahead and do it right the first time.However it seems to me that you are just interested in a temporary ration of cool factor for your car,yes you can get away with it cheap but it will never be any more than "temporary cool" and only semi functional.

Start searching and reading about "roll center" and "bump steer". You will be approaching suspension angles that get weird and dangerous.

There is also a FAQ about sectioning that you might want to look at. You're looking at coilovers, sectioned struts, camber plates and stiff springs to run as low as you want without bottoming out. Smaller diameter wheels will help too, although I'd guess that's not the look you're after.

Don't get too crazy with the spring rates as the Z is a really flexy chassis. You'll require some pretty serious chassis stiffening mods to run a really stiff spring like you had on your 240SX. Generally we put them in in/lbs rather than the metric version around here, but you really can't go past about 300 in/lbs before the chassis starts to work as a spring.

Pick key words from this thread, start searching and reading. It's all there, but we won't spoonfeed it to you. Happy searching.

Ok I will search more about strut sectioning, but some of you guys are getting this all wrong. I'm asking about doing it right, safe, and relatively inexpensive. I won't cut springs, I do understand bump steer/ roll center concepts. (I don't want high spring rates, I was just stating that stiff a stiff ride is not a big deal to me) Also janaka what does tucking tires have to do with civics? People with all types of cars like the look of tucked tires, and I am no honda fan. this is a dd, that i want to be safe, and aesthetically pleasing . so unless your going to be helpful like the majority of people, then go elsewhere. Thanks I'll search more!