HybridZ

1988 300zx Shiro

JSM

I'm looking at a shiro for $2500 that is suppossed to be very clean. Ebay had none that were sold so it was hard to judge value.

A/C doesn't work and powersteering belt is disconnected.

Curious to what others felt the long term ownership of one these cars may be for an investment?

From Wiki:

In 1988, the turbocharged Shiro Special debuted with pearl white paint, stiffer springs and matched shocks, heavy-duty anti-sway bars, a unique front air dam, paint matched wheels, Recaro seats, and a viscous, limited-slip differential. No other options were available for the Shiro, meaning all Shiros were identical. It was the fastest car out of Japan, capable of 153 mph (246 km/h) speeds, as tested by Motor Trend with the electronic speed limiter disabled.[2] A total of 1002 Shiro Special Z31s were produced between January and March of 1988.[

I loved mine I bought it for $5K with 98K from VA Beach and sold it with 106K for $6600. Got lucky and found an HKS Turbo Kit which was a bolt on. When I sold her it was stripped back to stock because the new owner wanted it that way.

I have a buddy that has Recaro seat parts (drivers seat bottom and both upper back supports) from Nissan now NLA. If it's in good shape it would be worth it. However, for the price of this one it's probably ragged out or this person doesn't know what he/she has. Post some pics.

If it's in remotely decent shape and the LSD is in there, I would totally buy it for that amount. Just make sure it's actually the Shiro model. It should have almost no options.

Is there a particular VIN to look for or an easy way to tell?

88' manual is availble on carfiche right now, i'm downloading it. There should be a way to tell by the VIN, like how you can tell a S130 GL by the VIN.

If it's 100% stock, and the AC/power steering need work like you're saying, I'd say $2,500 is a fair price. Possibly a slightly better deal for the buyer than the seller. Regular turbo cars are a dime o' dozen around here, the later 87-89 turbo cars though hard to find, don't tend to sell for that much more. It mostly comes down to condition from what I've seen.

For some reason a ton of VG motor cars seem to have issues with the AC pump freezing. At least in my first hand experience, not trying to make a generalization about all of them. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though.

EDIT:

Doesn't like like there's a way to tell via the VIN, though here's the zhome page on them to give you more insight as to what to look for.

http://www.zhome.com/History/SSZ.htm

BTW, I'd personally prefer the clutch LSD, and I think many here would agree. Take that for what it's worth though. $.02 :D

The one negative about the Shiro that I've noticed, is that replacement CV joints are pretty much imposible to find. I've tried for years to find a set to use with a short nose VLSD out of a J-30 in my 240Z. Short of finding some in a Junkyard (I've found one, mangled beyond repair) you are going to have a hard time finding replacements should the original units ever fail.

Didn't someone on here just recently get a few CV shafts for the 88' LSD? I can't remeber who it was, I think it was one of the RB26 guys, though I might be crazy.

He posted one on ebay iirc.

Though I agree the rarity does become a problem for those replacement parts.