HybridZ

Welding stainless and Cancer. You need to know!

SATAN

"Welding Stainless Steelhowtodressatshipyard.thumbnail.jpg

The fumes contain carcinogenic hexavalent chromium, sometimes written as CR(VI).

Respirator Procedures for Welding Stainless Steel

• When you are welding stainless steel, wear a 1/2 facepiece respirator with a filter that has a “100″ rating.

• If you are working within 10 feet of welding, or if you are grinding or sweeping, wear a “95″ rated disposable respirator or 1/2 facepiece respirator.

• The dust is much less toxic than fumes but should be treated with care. Burning and smoking it should be done with caution.

• Recognize that the bother respirators cause is worth it. They keep scratchy throats and lung cancer away. They can be slightly uncomfortable. It is difficult to be heard when speaking through a disposable respirator and you have to really speak up to be heard through a 1/2 facepiece respirator.

• Always work in an area with excellent ventilation. Outside is best. If not possible, open windows & doors, push (or pull) fumes outdoors with a fan or fume extractor.

• Alert people nearby what you are welding and of the danger. If indoors, alert everyone in the building and suggest they wear “95″ rated respirators.

• After being near welding for a long time, be sure to shower when you get home to get the particles off you. Keep your work clothes separate from your other clothes. Do not eat your work clothes.

• Get your own disposable and 1/2 facepiece respirators. They will fit better, you’ll know that they’ve been cared for, and they won’t smell of someone else’s copious sweat and snot.

• When you’re not using them, keep your respirators in a plastic bag. “OV” filters will slowly degrade if left in the open air, decreasing their effectiveness. Also, the plastic bag will keep potentially toxic shop dusts out of the insides.

• Replace the filter in your respirator if you detect a funny taste or smell through it or if it becomes difficult to breathe through. Those are signs that it’s useful life is over. There aren’t any hard and fast rules about this but you should get 4-40 hours of actively breathing through the respirator.

About Respirators

You must use at least an “N95″ or better respirator to protect yourself from stainless steel dust and fumes. It’s a very good idea to use a better respirator because the better fit and filtering will ensure safer working, especially for people that are less experienced (like myself!) with such work environments. The literature from 3M and OSHA says that a 95 rated respirator should be enough to protect you from dangerous levels of CR(VI). Scientists simply haven’t figured out exactly why people in the welding professions have higher lung cancer rates."

Granted stainless is not good for you but........when sharpening you tungsten, its the dust off that that is very carcinogenic.

I weld stainless for a living and never use grey tipped tungsten's

Which one give a better quality weld on stainless, yellow or grey? I can wear a mask not feel like less of a man so... The one that gives the best weld is what I want. I usually just use the red tipped like I do for mild steel... But I will use the other if if yields better quality.

I have used all 3 and they all give the same quality, well I have noticed no difference anyway, either on carbon or stainless, Only difference I notice is when pulsing, the yellow tip tungsten cools quicker but thata a good thing,

Also when tig welding have your gas flow as low as passible, the argon is as bad as the stainless and tungsten dust,

Jay

Also when tig welding have your gas flow as low as passible, the argon is as bad as the stainless and tungsten dust,

Sorry but not true-we dont need people corrupting their welds for silly myths.

Argon is not only in the air you breath right now but it is odorless, colorless,non-reactive,totally inert and harmless to breath.The only possible hazard is the fact that it displaces oxygen which in a severe case may cause suffocation.Regardless you will not get poisoned or suffocated while welding with argon.

thats what I swas on about, Argon, especially pureshield argon is an asphyxiant.......which in my book is dangerous.

Although I doubt anyone here would be welding for long periods of time or purging pipes, Its just something to keep in mind thats all,

Jay

Argon is heavier then air which is something you need to consider when welding in some kind of container. Otherwise, is dissapates very quickly.

FYI... When I occaisionally weld Titanium parts I use a big washtub that I fill with Argon before welding. As long as I'm not moving my hands around a lot I can get nice silver or light straw welds. Anytime you see blue or purple on a Ti weld, its contaminated. Makes you wonder about all those pretty bling, bling Ti parts... :nono:

Argon is heavier then air which is something you need to consider when welding in some kind of container. Otherwise, is dissapates very quickly.

FYI... When I occaisionally weld Titanium parts I use a big washtub that I fill with Argon before welding. As long as I'm not moving my hands around a lot I can get nice silver or light straw welds. Anytime you see blue or purple on a Ti weld, its contaminated. Makes you wonder about all those pretty bling, bling Ti parts... :nono:

I know this is off topic, but what are you welding ti for that is car related? Typically the only Ti stuff I see being welded is for mountain bikes. When you are welding Ti for cars.... You know the customer is dumping money.

that blue and purple you can make with a bit of voltage, tin foil, and coca cola if you didn't know. Pretty interesting and you can get a lot of neat colors with low volts.

so do you weld IN the washtub? like, basically to make it so there's a zero oxygen environment so no contaminants get in the weld?

so do you weld IN the washtub? like, basically to make it so there's a zero oxygen environment so no contaminants get in the weld?

Thats basically what you need to do.When welding titanium,unlike other metals you not only need an inert environment while welding but you also want it to be oxygen free until it cools down to IIRC about 800 degrees.

I know this is off topic, but what are you welding ti for that is car related?

A few things. Brake brackets for an offroad racing truck, suspension rocker pivots for Goldenrod, some other small parts.

Yes. http://www.timet.com/fab-p27.htm