HybridZ

What Turbos Fit?

lurch632

im trying to figure out what turbos will fit on the stock turbo zx manifold. i am building up a turbo motor and i dont have the money for a brand new one just yet but i would like to upgrade from the t3. what junkyard turbos would bolt up? and i am a semi competent welder so i could possibly fabricate a adapter of some kind. any help with that option would be much appriciated as well. thanks for the help guys.

I'm not much of a hands on guy, so maybe someone who's built a T3/T4 hybrid can provide more detail. I just bought a T3/T4. T3 on the turbine side, T40E .57 trim on the compressor side. You get the advantage of quick spooling of the T3 with a lot more air flow of the T4. And the T3 bolts to your stock mani. I don't know this for sure, but I think once you get beyond the T3/T4 you pretty much have to have a hotter cam, better fuel management, etc. And maybe you can find a junkyard T4 for cheap and build the hybrid yourself. Just a thought....

ok well i may have phrased my question wrong. i know that a t3 flange is what fits on the stock manifold. but what im more interested in is a what cars i could find a suitable turbo in at a salvage yard. how big is the holeset turbo on the dodge trucks? im looking for something with a fairly quick spool but that can support about 350hp. the t3/to4e seems to be the standard for that aplication but where would i source a junkyard one? could i pull like the compressor side of a wrx turbo and mate it with my stock turbine side? is that possible?

did search, multiple times for anything related to junkyard turbos. nothing useful. so if you have some info post it. if not, i dont need you flaming me cuz im new to the site. go find something constructive to do instead of ride my ass. oh and thanks to calgary and xenon fro the help

we're all here to help, but you need to make the effort to try searching. Do a quick search for holset, a bunch of stuff should come up. The 280zx turbo is a fairly decent sized one comparted to most junkyard finds, as most cars don't come turbo. Saab, volvo, volkswagon are usually the junkyard finds, and they are tiny. The holsets are a bit pricey for a used turbo, but they seem to work great on the Zs.

i'm not sure you want to waste your time "upgrading" to a junkyard turbo, even if it's a T3/T4. A brand new name brand ball bearing T3 can out flow and out spool most OEM turbos from the 70's-90's.

You're much better of just using the stock T3 and then upgrading to a much better, and newer unit once you run out of usable air with the stock at around 15psi.