HybridZ

chrome trim to black?

wherezmytofu

rust is a pain to get rid of and keep away. POR 15 is a wonderful thing but once you get it on your chrome pieces you have to sand it away and then sand the metal behind it smooth enough to make your chrome flawless. so your pretty much better of getting new chrome.

:( Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but maybe I'll fool around with some different products and see if I can find one that will stick to the chrome.

On a related note, would I be able to sand the surface rust off with fine sandpaper to a mirror finish, and then just spray some clear coat on it? Or would that not work very well. Thanks for help so far guys, and sorry for stealing the original posters thread.

If you guys are talking about the thin trim pieces that go around the windshield/hatch glass, as stated before, it is STAINLESS STEEL which is considerably different than 'Chrome'. The thought of "sanding" those incredibly delicate and flimsy pieces sounds like a nightmare. A powdercoater will probably beadblast them after fastening them to a rigid surface. Once those pieces are dinged, it is nearly impossible to get them perfect again. I have a few sets JUST in case the glass installer bends a piece trying to slide them into those tiny channels. It has happened more than once.

I would highly recommend NOT sanding these stainless pieces....

FWIW

I think you can sand it down to a mirror finish again. Don't use regular sand paper though, go to a hobby shop and get a multi pack of micro grit. It'll probably be in the model section. That stuff goes down to a grain so fine it looks like polished plastic. Run through all the grains and I think you'll be pretty happy with what you get. To keep it from rusting again though you'll need some sort of clear coat or maybe a good wax would help.