HybridZ

Hi boost misfire

jeffp

That setup Frank has posted is almost identical to what I had setup in my 240Z. Two of those pumps are Facet/Bendix Style low-pressure booster pumps that keep the swirl pot/surge tank full, with the EFI pump sucking from the bottom of it for the High-Pressure side of the equation. Nice thing about it is that the fuel is double filtered before it goes into the main pump-increasing it's longevity as well. The Facet/Bendix pumps usually have inlet filters in the bottom section of the pump, though you can order them without the filter as well. So first filter, then through the second filter, then into the main pump.

Puts ALL filtration on the LOW PRESSURE circuit, so that a clogged filter will be FAR less likely to cause a problem in High-Pressure Fuel Delivery. And given it's in the low-pressure side, it's unlikely the filter will ever get enough pressure behind it to blow out...and throw fibers down into the injector screens. (For instance...er, not saying this has happened to anybody in this thread...)

Frank, I keep telling him to get AAA Extended Towing, and remove that space-saver spare and build a Sjaack-Style Aluminum Tank for the Methanol Injection back there in the spare tire well...

Who cares if there's methanol in the passenger compartment, you can't see it when it burns anyway! LOL

I did the fuel delivery tests of my system, and the fuel pump is not as good now then when it was new.

I really started dropping flow after I went to 80psi of fuel pressure, and 10 seconds into the test I could hear the fuel pump going into bypass. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

But the good news, is that YES the plug wires started breaking down, specifically the boots over the plugs.

I also did the test under extreme pressure conditions. Lance has a test jig that has windows, and can be pressurized. I installed the new plugs and the wires and powered the coils from a test ECU. Sure enough, when we got to about 275psi of pressure in the test jig the wires started arching on the plug end. So there really was a misfire of the ignition, and since the fuel was about up, it was a good thing this time that it was misfiring.

I bought magnacore wire and MSD 3301 plug boots and terminals to build the new wires.

I also bought a second fuel pump that is good to 90psi of fuel pressure, and I am going to install that in series with the Nissan twin turbo pump. The ECU will be programmed to turn the pump on at about 10psi so it is not running all of the time, well sometimes it will not be running LOL.

So the question now is, what am I going to get with the additional 5psi of boost? Here is the last dyno and the car got one good pull at about 18-20psi of boost.

I think this engine is going to make some good power @ 25psi of boost.