HybridZ

RB25 Crank Angle Sensor BROKEN HELP

voltron_boi

i just removed my crank angle sensor from the cam today, so i can replace my timing belt.when took off i notice that somthing broke from the cam(the little tiny teenth thing that lines up with the crank angle sensor) that little peice from the cam was broken off from there. my freind say now, i will need a new cam. but before i do as my freind say, i want to no if its necessary or can i just leave it as is, and it wouldnt be a problem. please help..

cam angle is used as a reference for the computer to know how many degrees of rotation have passed since the last or first fire of a cylinder.

since the cam angle/valve opening and closing time is somewhat proportional to when a spark plug should fire, if the cam sensor does not turn, the ignition will not know when to fire, or it will not advance or retard the system automatically to save your engine from disaster.

in short, yeah. you need a new one.

• Administrators
i just removed my crank angle sensor from the cam today, so i can replace my timing belt.when took off i notice that somthing broke from the cam(the little tiny teenth thing that lines up with the crank angle sensor) that little peice from the cam was broken off from there. my freind say now, i will need a new cam. but before i do as my freind say, i want to no if its necessary or can i just leave it as is, and it wouldnt be a problem. please help..

If the cam is indeed broken, you're likely stuck with replacing it. A picture would help greatly here.

so your saying if i dont replace it, it will not start the car rite.

That sensor is the single most critical sensor in the entire EFI system. There is no way to bypass it (with the stock ECU). It must be in proper working order.

P.S. please fix your shift key.

First and foremost, pay attention to what your saying. You mention cam AND crank. Which is it?

Evan, Nissan calls that sensor a "crank angle sensor" even though it is, in fact, a cam angle sensor.

u no theirs a long tip n the camshaft, and the crank angle sensor(CAS) also has a long tip, inorder to line up the CAS to go in.my CAS is fine. just the longer tip from the camshaft is broken off.now its left with two peice inside the CAS, where its suppose to be one.if its stil hard to determand, ill post up picture for better understand. thanks

• Administrators
u no theirs a long tip n the camshaft, and the crank angle sensor(CAS) also has a long tip, inorder to line up the CAS to go in.my CAS is fine. just the longer tip from the camshaft is broken off.now its left with two peice inside the CAS, where its suppose to be one.if its stil hard to determand, ill post up picture for better understand. thanks

Your writing habits do not conform to our rules. I asked you nicely once and you chose not to take me seriously. Hopefully you will take me seriously this time.

Before you post again, I want you to read all of our rules. Please pay particular attention to #5...

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=65&a=2

If you post in this fashion again, I will suspend you for 7 days. After which, if you continue, I'll make the suspension permanent.

Please respect our rules.