HybridZ

ZG flares on the 2+2 w/sportmax 002???

sooo i had an ipifany tonight while i was drinking the hiney mini-keg....

i want fender flares, the ZG ones like austin has.

the problem (mental) that i am having is that the 2+2 is wider than the coupe (in the back). right now, all 4 tires rub (225/50/16) and its getting bad enough to where my sidewalls are all chewed up.

i want a flare, but im nervous that the ZG's on my car with the sport max will look wierd...im afraid that the wheel wont come out far enough... so what do yall think? should i do it or not?

you can see in my sig that as of now, the front actually are right at the edge, but the rears sit in just a tad....anyone have any pictures of a 2+2 with ZG flares with stock rims or the wheels i am running????

yea or nea on flares?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I hate to confuse you but that car looks great right now. I would not do the flares unless you fill them up, but I can't advise on wheel spacers either. I have heard that the good ones are very durable, ie. on big 4x4's the suspension/control arms get pulled apart in wrecks but the spacers were fine? But I still hate the idea of having one more link to potentially go wrong. I say it looks great = time to make it go faster or save some money. Just remember once you cut that thing up it's hard to go back. I have my $500.00 worth of flares sitting in my garage and think I'm gonna keep her stock after all. Tough decision for me.

Just remember once you cut that thing up it's hard to go back. I have my $500.00 worth of flares sitting in my garage and think I'm gonna keep her stock after all. Tough decision for me.

Same here, I was ready to start cutting, but realized how great shape my fenders were in and I decided I didn't really need that wide of a wheel.

Hey Derek-

I have the jim cook racing flares Pg. 13- the black car at the bottom. Note- The front flares on the car in the photo do not match the rear flares, nor are they the front flares that I bought. I have the front which match the rears, and have never seen them on a car anywhere or in photo's. My uncle had the rears only on his z back in the early 80's and they looked really good (supposed to model after an old 911rsr design somewhat from what I was told). If you or anyone knows of these mounted on a car that I can see, please let me know. If anyone wants to buy them please let me know. If not, I will save them for car B.

Haha, rubbing is NOT fun!! I went on my first couple of runs and they were rub city. My fenders were sitting about an inch off of the tire.. so I hacked up the fenders, threw the ZG's on and gained soooo much tire clearance. I can now lower the car much farther than I ever thought I would be able to. Definitely is going to have the look I want!

Also- One reason I have been hesitant to flare is that with my setup I will end up with something like the 9.5/9.0 RB Setup. Long term that will probably be great with a V8 Swap, but with less than 300 Engine hp now I can still scrub the tires nicely through 1st and 2nd gear, my wheel/tire weight is low, and the car handles exactly the way I want it to with the same size wheels tires at all 4 corners. No doubt it will look cool with the flares, but I'm not sure I will like the overall outcome without getting into more suspension mods and more hp. Anyone out there have a comment on wider rear tires/wheels and understeer/pushing and how to overcome it since it seems that most people end up wider on the rear with flares?