HybridZ

ZG flares on the 2+2 w/sportmax 002???

its rubbing becuase of the sport max wheels...and it rubs everywhere...

if you dont lower the car, the sportmax's are fine...but mines lowered :-(

Everywhere... So it is rubbing at the T/C rod, at the frame rails, at the spring perch, at the fender, and the lower valance? Those Sport Max wheels are 16x8" 0 offset correct?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..let me rephrase...

they are hitting the side wall horribly if i go over speedbumps to quick, or the car just sqats about an in in suspension travel when i drive over humps in the road....

the edges of the tires are chewed up....i could have rolled the fender, but i think this will be a nicer choice....

the sportmax's sit out further out than stock wheels due to offset...

Your going to have to roll the fenders anyways, would be much better to just roll and tweak what you have now. You dont have near enough tire to use or need flares. Many guys run 275-40-17 tires in the rear with no flares. 245/45/17 you can also run in front with no flares. Just tweak what you have.

if i installed the flares, i wouldnt need to roll them...id be whacking them off....

oh wait...cutting them off :wink:

like i said earlier:

a. i dont have a fender roller

b. i think flares would look good

c. all i need then is the mirrors and i have a fairlady wannabe

for the amount of time it would take to find a fender roller and do it, i would much rather just purchase the flares....MSA said i could buy them, tape them up and see how it would look, and if i dont like it, send it back for a full refund...

besides, the flaring option opens up different wheel options :-)

whats wrong with being a battleship :wink:

like i said...the guys at MSA said if i dont like the way they look, then i can ship them back....no charge for restocking or anything...

so when they get there friday, i think im going to order them...

i just wish people had pictures of STOCK Zcars with the ZG flares...

whats wrong with being a battleship :wink:

like i said...the guys at MSA said if i dont like the way they look, then i can ship them back....no charge for restocking or anything...

so when they get there friday, i think im going to order them...

i just wish people had pictures of STOCK Zcars with the ZG flares...

16x7, 205/55/16's:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107531&highlight=JDM+zg+flares

One more vote for NOT putting on flares when you don't need them. Your car looks good without them Bubbles. Besides, SOOO many people are doing them now (ZGs, that is), don't you want to retain a little uniqueness? At least until you NEED them? It's almost like people getting tattoos nowadays, you used to stand out if you had them, but now you're more unique if you DON'T.

I wouldn't use ZG flares until you space the wheels out ~25-30mm but then its kind of like "whats the point" - might as well have gotten the wider wheel and tire.

I would think that you could easily resolve your rubbing issue with coil overs and a bit firmer springs. Not everyone wants to go that route though.

Yep, I am not a real fan of them either, but I needed/wanted a wider tire, so I had no options, and I am defintly not installing a flare that I cant unbolt. Just like the body kit on my silver car, I did not mold anything in. Makes it easier to repair and service body parts without having to repaint a whole panel, or whole car for that matter.

Are they really rubbing the suspension and the body? If so, I'd be calling the wheel man. for a credit or trade-in. You shouldn't have to buy coil-overs and flare a car to make a set of wheels work (and that's assuming you don't have coilovers yet).

Can I ask what you are doing to get a 13 sec quarter w/ a 280 n/a? Is that 13 flat? I'm running a Rebello 3.0 and have to rape the piss out of it to get a 13.6. My speed used to be about 104 and it has dropped 1-2 as well. I made some changes and don't seem to be able to find my way back. Currently Weber 45's/MSA 6:1 Header w/alot of cleanup and rewelding to match port/2.5" exhaust/MSD/ late ZX 5sp with a 4:38lsd. Car seemed ALOT happier in the quarter mile with the stock 4sp and 3:36. Any suggestions?

And Twincam 1 Fast Z- Maybe you can answer my previous Q? How does the car handle with the wide rears and narrower fronts? Are you able to adjust suspension to neutralize or does the car understeer with that setup?

Thanks ahead.

1FastZ, your flares on your 2+2 look great.

I really like those on your car, and I think because the body colour blends into the flare a bit, so they don't stand out too much.

Bubbles, I think on your 2+2 with your colour paint they will stand out too much for a 2+2. But then I didn't like the original blue one that derek posted and you did. So to each his own.