HybridZ

Wheel spacer studs with safty pins?

After my little experience with a loosened wheel adapter that came off, I have lost faith in wheel adapters. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a stud with some sort of safety pin that keeps the lug nut from loosening (kind of like the nut and safety pin that holds on the whole wheel assembly). Is there such a thing? By the way im talking about the studs that hold on the adapter not my actual wheel. Would it be safe to drill the wheel stud and put a safety pin in or is does something like this exist already? Hope I worded that correctly, (and hey look admins everything is spelled right and punctuated correctly!!!:ass:) .

Somebody at the meet I just went to had a locking lug nut on his, so they do exist, if thats what you were talking about.

No, not locking lug nuts. I have those on my wheels. I'm talking about a safety pin that goes through the actual stud so the nut doesn't loosen the adapter.

I'm not doing it for looks. I'm doing it because the damn wheel (WITH THE ADAPTER!) came off at 80mph. Don't want it to happen again so I want to take precautions. If it does nothing at all, fine, it will make me feel better at least. Who sells something like this? Can i drill it myself or is that a no no?

Better?

DEFCON 4: This refers to normal, increased intelligence and the heightening of national security measures.

Not really. I happen to be middle eastern. Middle easterns and National Security aren't getting along very well right now haha.

Guest 280ZForce
Better?

always wondered who came up w/ making those titles under the user handles, I looked around user cp and couldn't find anything, then said oh well screw it.

After my little experience with a loosened wheel adapter that came off, I have lost faith in wheel adapters.

And Matt, I'm sure using regular wheel spacers/adapters again like you had will be fine. Try using loctite on the studs that bolt to the hub? I'm sure if you just check them periodically and make sure they are torqued down they will hold up fine. Maybe that stud got stripped?

Either that or how about getting some wheels that fit w/out spacers?

The wheels Im looking at happen to use adapters Justin. I know the chances of it happening again are very slim, but its something that will stay on the back of my mind for a while. I cant go on the damn freeway with the car without thinking about it. This is my Daily Driver and it would add piece of mind having a "safety" zone.

• Administrators
always wondered who came up w/ making those titles under the user handles, I looked around user cp and couldn't find anything, then said oh well screw it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130544

I'm sure if you just check them periodically and make sure they are torqued down they will hold up fine. Maybe that stud got stripped?

I don't know what Matt's particular issue is. I've used spacers before with no significant issues. I tend to agree that a proper torque should do just fine. However, after his experience, I can't say I blame him for pursueing some 'peace of mind'.

I cant say i don't trust them completely. I mean, I ran the damn things on the car for almost three years, without a worry. Then out of nowhere I'm on three wheels on the 405. I didn't really have a way of checking them without taking the wheels off (come on now though, how realistic is that on your daily driver?).

I know something like this has to exist (or some kind of equivalent). anyone?

I would say try a lock washer it you can get it to properly seat the spacer onto the hub.

If that doesnt work I would go ahead and try to drill a stud with a tiny hole. I really don't see the harm in that if you can do it with out screwing up the threads. However, I don't think it's very realistic drillilng 16 tiny holes on a curved surface unless you have a drill press and something to clamp it with.