HybridZ

Will fuel injection hose work as an oil line? (and a rambling unimportant update)

I was wondering if I could use fuel injection hose for my turbo oil feed and outlet lines. I dont see why it wouldnt work, Im just checking so I can be 100% sure.

Rambling update: I now have (or have ordered and am waiting on) EVERYTHING I need to get this turbo setup into my engine bay.:D. Like I said, Im waiting on a few parts but in a few weeks my dreams of boost will become a reality!:D. If only this would be the end of me spending ALL of my extra cash... sigh... I will be gathering parts for a 5 speed swap next, but that will be a different thread at a later time... or maybe I will paint, hmmmm.:D. To be honest I am glad I am done spending money on this turbo stuff, I have been finding good deals and have been spreading it out over some time, but as soon as I got a paycheck I bought something... My dreams of boost made me broke for the last month or so. Its time to put this "investment" into play!

I have to say you are no where near done spending money on turbo stuff. because you see you are about to get a tast of boost, which is addicting and your gonna want more boost than what that tiny little t3 can produce.. thats the phase im in right now UPGRADE PHASE!!!!

I have to say you are no where near done spending money on turbo stuff. because you see you are about to get a tast of boost, which is addicting and your gonna want more boost than what that tiny little t3 can produce.. thats the phase im in right now UPGRADE PHASE!!!!

I am using an NA base right now, I believe a t3 can produce all the boost my engine can handle, but, yeah, your right... well I guess I am done spending money on it for now, on to other parts of the car. So how about the oil line question, it should work right? I really think it would, but there is always a chance I am wrong.

I wouldn't, it will work but not for very long. Gates say in their catalogue that their fuel hose definitely isn't to be used for oil. Trans cooler hose I'm not so sure about, it might be alright.

No.

Fuel line won't last.

Best is to use either brake line (steel line) or braided stainless hose (AN), for the feed.

For the drain, there isn't fuel injection line large enough to do the job, at leats not that you're going to find at your local parts store.

The drain should be at least 1/2" in diameter (-8) I prefer to use 5/8 (-10) or larger. Here you can use tube, or oil grade rubber hose. Or better yet, braided stainless again.

The braided stainless is probably the most expensive route, but will provide the easiest hose to use that will not kink, and will survive for a long time.

I wouldn't, it will work but not for very long. Gates say in their catalogue that their fuel hose definitely isn't to be used for oil. Trans cooler hose I'm not so sure about, it might be alright.

you work for a parts store? we stopped carrying gates and switched over to dayco (kinda a bad idea) but im curious about something:

dayco's prices for tranny cooler hoses is more expensive per foot (our cost) than F.I. hose is.....

i trust you've seen the difference between the two...on dayco, all it is is the lining that the hose has...looks like the tranny one is green (synthetic?) and the FI hose is white (cloth?)

i wonder what is the difference? fuel eats through rubber quicker than oil does....hmmmm

either way, i'd use a hose that's used for oil....not fuel....only beacuse of the name

you work for a parts store? we stopped carrying gates and switched over to dayco (kinda a bad idea) but im curious about something:

dayco's prices for tranny cooler hoses is more expensive per foot (our cost) than F.I. hose is.....

i trust you've seen the difference between the two...on dayco, all it is is the lining that the hose has...looks like the tranny one is green (synthetic?) and the FI hose is white (cloth?)

i wonder what is the difference? fuel eats through rubber quicker than oil does....hmmmm

either way, i'd use a hose that's used for oil....not fuel....only beacuse of the name

I used to work for a parts store here in NZ, we sold Gates, our competition sold Dayco, Gates belts seem much better than the Dayco ones. As for the difference in the hose, the rubber seemed different and the trans cooler line had more reinforcing from what I can remember, its been a while though. Both were pretty expensive, we were selling FI hose for $60NZD/meter I think.

Use Braided -3 or -4 AN line for for feed. Its worth the effort and makes for a clean install, however dont forget to add an oil restrictor if you go this route. I prefer to use silicon hose for the dump tube, it seems to hold up very well and isnt a pain in the a55 like a huge an line would be in that cramped space. ATP sells 5/8" silicon for this purpose.

Use Braided -3 or -4 AN line for for feed. Its worth the effort and makes for a clean install, however dont forget to add an oil restrictor if you go this route. I prefer to use silicon hose for the dump tube, it seems to hold up very well and isnt a pain in the a55 like a huge an line would be in that cramped space. ATP sells 5/8" silicon for this purpose.

Hi Austin, I'm going to have to go the AN route soon myself.

So the reason being for the oil restrictor is so that you don't "rob" the engine of oil, diverting too much of it to the turbo?

I'll check if ATP sells these oil restrictors...Thanks! -hughdogz

Hi Austin, I'm going to have to go the AN route soon myself.

So the reason being for the oil restrictor is so that you don't "rob" the engine of oil, diverting too much of it to the turbo?

I'll check if ATP sells these oil restrictors...Thanks! -hughdogz

I know the question want directed at me but as far as I know (from searching) the oil restrictor is to ensure the tubo doesn have any oil pressure at all, if it did it would smoke and burn oil.

Thanks MJ!

I'll have to check that out myself. I haven't done too much research in this area yet.

I'm assuming that the stock oil restrictor is housed in the Tee for the oil pressure sending unit. Since the stock oil line uses a compression fitting, it is probably not NPT treads, so a 1/8" (or 1/4") NPT to -3 or -4 AN fitting may not work with the stock tee.

To use an AN oil line, I think it would be easiset to get a different tee fitting that can accomodate 1/8" (or 1/4") NPT's. Am I totally off base? Ehh...I probably just have to search archives to find out for sure. :lol:

Thanks again, -Hugh

[Edit: I meant to say flare nut fitting, not compression fitting. I need to use the correct terminology, right? Sorry about that...]

To convert to an, you can retap the block to NPT and run a standard brass t.... many people will disagree with me here but I've done it several times and it works great. Just run a NPT into the BSP hole, the NPT will seal.

Or you can weld a AN fitting on top of the factory steel t if you have a welder

or you can run an adapter

or you can..

To convert to an, you can retap the block to NPT and run a standard brass t.... many people will disagree with me here but I've done it several times and it works great. Just run a NPT into the BSP hole, the NPT will seal.

Or you can weld a AN fitting on top of the factory steel t if you have a welder

or you can run an adapter

or you can..

Whoo Hoo!! Thanks Austin, this gives us a lot of options. Cheers! -hughdogz