HybridZ

LS1 into 280ZX

Anyone done it?

I have been looking and this swap has really got me going!

Will I be the first or has someone already done this? If anyone has, ANY tips would be great.

I have a few questions though.

Can anyone get me a pic of the engine mounts? I am not looking for a pic of the JCI mounts as I realise that there was a heck of a lot of development and they dont want them shown. I am looking for how approx location of mounts on the block itself.

Engine, Loom, computer and tranny. Thats all I need? Except of course for the "While I am at it" stuff. But totally boiled down that would be it?

A bigger bank balance, Can anyone supply me with one of these?:)

THanks for any help

My first thought was the exhaust. Specificly the drivers side manifold/header. Depending on the type of steering box you have the options are tight and tighter. It's a safe bet that you are going to have to fab your own headers, at least for the drivers side. Oh wait, New Zealand, are you guys rightys of lefties down there?

Mate, details of engine mounts are your last concern, mere mechanical detail in the great complicated scheme of things. I know what I'm talking about, check my project which finally made it to the dyno yesterday.

But LS is an excellent choice, go for it if you have the $ and the patience.

• 1 month later...
Guest figone

What about swapped and flipped truck manifolds? That's what I'm thinking about for my turbo 5.3 swap...looks like it should fit, but the exhaust route would be a little indirect for a n/a swap...but if nothing else works...

having put an ls1 into a right hand drive car with one of johns cars kit i can tell you your main concern is going to be right hand side header

i ended up fabricating my own right hand header as i ended up with the biggest area i could run header outlet out a hole 3" by 4"

didnt click with me that johns car kit offsets enging to right hand side by 25 mm so if i had thought i may have been able to look at modifying the mounts to mount engine more central or to left would have given more room to run header

ideas i have now that would have improved problem but at a cost greater than fabricating my header are

buy relocating kit to place starter on left hand side of engine gets it away from steering side But about $900 aus for kit

would consider running with johns car kit right hand side engine mount on both left and right hand side as i see it this is more like the jtr style rear offset mount as it mounts further forward on engine giving more room for headers on both sides am told these style mounts are now readily avliable

and on a 240z lines up with orginal engine mount

just my ideas but the i reckon the ls1 is a amazing motor and the aftermarket is huge

but be you need patience taken me 3 years and im hoping for first drive this weekend then off to get exhuast put on

mick