HybridZ

T-5 differences?

Guest bippu Z

Guest bippu Z

Ive been noticing that the Mustang T-5's are much easier to come by lately guys, and I was wondering if they're compatible with my 280zxt engine. I swapped it into my 260z, though I have yet to verify whether it's a late model or an early one, or even if that would make a difference.

Right now I've got the stock 4-speed manual.

Is the Mustang T-5 adaptable to my Z?

Externally they are the same. Inside is where the diferences are. The World Class T5 was in the Mustang, and the nonWorld Class was in the ZXT, S10 P/U, the firebrd V6 etc.The shafts and bearings are considerably larger thus stronger. They will bolt up to the stock zxt bell housing, the output shaft is the same, so the stock yoke will slide right in. The main change you will have to do is change the clutch discs to have the same spline count as the Ford. Another diference is that the 5th gear on the World class(mustang) box is .68 versus the .83 on the non world class, so 5 gear will be alot less rpms at the same speed. I just talked to a shop in Miami and they have a .90 5th gear setup to make it a more trackable setup. I'm still more research!!

There are lots of different T-5's and I suspect most of the differences are in the gear ratios / size of the internal gears, and possibly metalurgy of the internals. I think a rebuild kit will cover Ford and GM versions, but I'm not 100% on that.

I started out with a V6 GM World Class and swapped in a "Z" Code heavy duty gearset, which is the same set in the 93 Cobra "R", and used a GM input shaft. I don't know if the input shaft I got was special or not but it is a GM spline. I called Kevin at TheGearBox.org told him what I wanted and he set me up with the parts I needed. His labor charges arn't too bad, shipping would suck though.

Kevin is super helpful and browsing his site will net you some more info. I'd search google, and hit Kevin's site.

http://www.thegearbox.org/T5.html