HybridZ

How do I remove keyed gas cap without the key?

abw280z

I've got an interesting issue. I just got a 1979 280z and the lady who sold it to me doesn't have any keys. I took the owners card and VIN to a dealership and they couldn't help me. So I guess I need to go to a locksmith. I don't want to pay travel fees for a locksmith and then I remembered that it is a locking gas cap. If i take in the gas cap they should be able to recreate the key. Anyone have any ideas?

Good thing it isn't locked on there with no gas left in the tank! :mrgreen:

I would take it to a locksmith to see if they can match it to your ignition key. Otherwise, you can buy another one from MSA (clicky) ($34) but then you might have three seperate keys to tote around...

Which reminds me, I have to find my cap key. I had to buy a new cap from MSA one year since I forgot the cap at the pump somewhere between LA and San Diego. We're not allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon, so I was out of my element! :lmao:

Been there done that, you have to pry off the rim of the cap, from there you will be able to see the points where the cap has tabs coming out stoping the cap from comming off, this may take two prybars and you wont get it on the first try. but those tabs can be bent

Thanks I'll try that as soon as possible.

NO need to destroy ANYTHING...which is what will happen if you start prying ♥♥♥♥ off.

I'm assuming the car is unlocked. Here is the process to get keys made, if nothing has been changed on the car.

Open the rear hatch.

Remove the rear interior panel.

Disconnect the wiring for the license plate light (1 bullet connector).

Locate and remove the 2 10 mm nuts that hold the light assembly onto the back of the car.

Look on the top of the lock assembly itself, looking straight down.

VOILA! Key Code stamped into housing (1/8" numbers)...should be MXXXX, where XXXX=4000-6999.

Put it all back together and visit your local locksmith with the key code.

DONE, and nothing damaged.

As a reference:

ZXlock.jpg

NO need to destroy ANYTHING...which is what will happen if you start prying ♥♥♥♥ off.

I'm assuming the car is unlocked. Here is the process to get keys made, if nothing has been changed on the car.

Open the rear hatch.

Remove the rear interior panel.

Disconnect the wiring for the license plate light (1 bullet connector).

Locate and remove the 2 10 mm nuts that hold the light assembly onto the back of the car.

Look on the side of the lock assembly itself, passenger side.

VOILA! Key Code stamped into housing (1/8" numbers)...should be MXXXX, where XXXX=4000-6999.

Put it all back together and visit your local locksmith with the key code.

DONE, and nothing damaged.

Oh thanks! That sounds a little bit more practical.

Warren, Great information. Thanks! :2thumbs:

I somehow missed the part where abw said he doesn't have ANY keys. If a US-spec Z is a '79, doesn't that make it a ZX? :rolleyes:

Yeah starting in '79 was the s130's which were the zx's. I just noticed that I missed the x in zx. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah starting in '79 was the s130's which were the zx's. I just noticed that I missed the x in zx. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries abw! We knew what you meant when you said it was a '79 (and the locking gas cap). I was just trying to give you a hard time, that's all. :-D

I once lost my gas cap key (which had a different lock than the door/ignition locks) and was unable to fill my car back up for a 400 mile trip back home. I simply called AAA and they sent a mobile locksmith right over. He was able to easily lockpick the cap off and make me a couple gas cap keys. He said the gas cap lock was really simplistic, though I don't know if the ignition/door locks are equally simplistic or not.