HybridZ

URGENT: DD! L28et 260z w/old gas tank

Car doesn't start. It looks like the fuel lines may be clogged somewhere, I tried checking if the filter had gone bad but it was fine when I took off the line by the filter. Gas came out so I know the problem isn't there, when I tried to do the same by the fuel rail there was no gas at all. I put the keys in so the fuel pump would start and I went back to the fuel pump and the lines felt like they had gas in them in fact they were leaking a little bit. I know I need to swap out the old carbed gas tank and I was trying to do it today to swap it with for an EFI gas tank from my s130 but the bolts under the gas tank on the s130 are stuck and I can't get them out. I tried cutting the straps that hold the gas tank up on the s130 but I get no luck. I'm pretty sure the problem is associated with the carbed gas tank and that the problem will go away as soon as I swap the EFI tank. But I was trying to get a second opinion and perhaps an easy fix so I can start the 260z with it's old gas tank so I can go to work today.

Thanks in advance.

My 260z in an earlier model, but it has an electronic fuel pump. I have the fuel pressure gauge, but it's not hooked up, so I'll probably do that ASAP. My main concern is that I'm not getting any gas to the fuel rail so I don't get any to the injectors which means I can't start the car at all. =/

Is there a quick fix to this? Should I just disconnect all the fuel lines and look to see where it's clogged?

Is there things that usually get clogged?

Thanks ALOT in advance.

Changed the fuel filter on the car today as well as the fuel pressure regulator and still nothing. I actually had gas at the pressure regulator so I doubt it's clogged. I'm starting to think it's not clogged and that it may need a new fuel pump. I'm using a stock early model 260z fuel pump, should I get the same one or should I get something else? I seriously can't figure out what is wrong and it's driving me nuts, I have two Zs on my driveway and none of them work. One of which is a DD and the other is a parts car.

Again, thanks in advance.

First off, no 260z here, in the USA came with FI. So, that means that the electrical fuel pump is not for EFI use. Its just a extra "pusher" carb pump.

If you do replace the fuel pump, be sure to get a EFI fuel pump.

Also, the fuel tank. There were no FI tanks installed in the US 260z, early or late....

Hope this helps. Good luck.

j.

Has the car ever run with that fuel pump? You could try taking the fuel pump off the s130 parts car, it should be external, and easy enough to retrofit.

Yeah it ran before and pretty good actually, I figured it was the stock fuel pump unless the previous owner swapped it out which I doubt.

First off, no 260z here, in the USA came with FI. So, that means that the electrical fuel pump is not for EFI use. Its just a extra "pusher" carb pump.

If you do replace the fuel pump, be sure to get a EFI fuel pump.

Also, the fuel tank. There were no FI tanks installed in the US 260z, early or late....

Hope this helps. Good luck.

j.

Ah, okay I thought that for some reason they fitted the 260z with an EFI pump that was compatible with the carb tank. Guess I was looking at a none U.S. model or just faulty information in general, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I have to search for an early model 280z (75?) and try to swap it over as my 280zx's tank is worthless.

if its the stock 260 pump in the back trying to run the turbo set up IT WILL NOT WORK. The only way the stock 260 pump can be utilized is if you have it feeding a surge tank and then having another EFI pump going to the fuel rail.

Hmm, I'm guessing the information's been covered a million times so I'll do a search. I'm currently bugging my friends since I have no net at home right now. Hopefully there's a write up, I can do basic stuff with cars but I'm trying to take on the project as well as I can. I got a nice T5 A as well as an R200 I'd like to swap this month too.

Again, thanks all of you. Guess it's a bad idea to have your project car as your DD, but I'm a poor college kid and I worked my ass off to get the car. I was working two full time jobs and doing school but I quit one as I already have the parts I need and it was cutting into my social life and I also didn't have time for the Z.

My main thing is to get the car running, I was getting rides from my dad but his DD also broke down so I'm trying to get the Z running ASAP.

*puts on flame suit*

Anyone have pics of the surge and efi setup? Like I said I can't check as often as I'd like so I can't lurk/search as much as I'd want to.

First to see if your getting fuel pressure

1. make sure you are getting power to the fuel pump. you could have a blown fuse.

2.when you turn the car on your fuel pump should turn on. Maybe have a friend turn the car on with your hand on the pump. you should be able to feel it vibrate.

3 If all this checks out take off the return fuel line on the fuel rail. and put it in a small fuel can. turn on the car and see if it flows into it. if not i would change all your fuel filters.

Car only has one fuel filter, the pump seemed to still be working I can hear it when I'm inside the car. I'll try to run the small fuel can you're suggesting. Again thanks, all of you. You're all being a great help, I'm glad I'm staying over my friends house tonight lots of my questions were answered.

I'll try all of that stuff tomorrow as I don't have the car with me right now.

Did everything that was suggested, in fact I even used a compressor to get rid of the "clogs". But now the problem seems to be an electrical one, I switched up the coil and I repaced my distributer cap. The car still doesn't start. I think it's the ignition relay, I can't work on the car today because I'm at work and have tons of homework. What I was wondering is if the relay of my 79 can be used (assuming the relay is whats wrong)

Oh, and thanks again.

Update:

She's running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to fix the AFM connections cause shes choking and firing! She actually shoots flames I almost caught the old 280zx on fire because I have her with a cover. Scared my neighbors half to death and everyone at the basketball car now thinks I have the fastest car in the park.

A lot of things, once I got the distributer cap, fuses, and relay changed she started up! She's running a little weird, not gonna drive her around. She's choking and misfiring, throwing flames and stuff. Looks like the AFM connections may be dirty or messed up cause it's missing and firing everywhere.

Scared my neighbors and now all the mad jdm tyte kids in the neighborhood who were playing basketball are gonna be taking about how my car was throwing flames. I almost caught the 280zx on fire cause it had the cover on it, I actually burned the cover a little bit lol. I don't think my neighbors like me anymore...But tomorrow morning I'm cleaning that up and I should be able to drive her to school. It might also be that I connected the distributer cap wrong but it's to late and I have no light to work on it.

Sure dude, I'll probably be done with all my finals by then but let me check my schedule to make sure. I'll pm you my number.

I got her running back to normal today, she kind of chokes up a little but nothing to drastic just means I have to treat her nicely until I can swap tanks or something. She's still not getting enough fuel so if I floor it to hard she'll choke up and the turbo won't kick in.