HybridZ

engine choices

Guest 280zfast

Guest 280zfast

how heavy is the 572 compared to the new LS7 corvette motor? Here is the ls motor that is carburetted, would look nice with a holley 850cfm on top of it http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS376515&engine=LS%20376/515&sku=19171225&engCat=ls

Or I could go with the z06 corvette LS7 motor http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS7&engine=LS7&sku=17802397&engCat=ls

and last but not least I could go with the big block 572 chevy, but do I really want to have to strengthen the car even more than is need for something smaller, but will put out some good hp? http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=ZZ572720&engine=ZZ%20572/720R&sku=12498827&engCat=bb

If I do any of these swaps which would be the cheapest to go with, and would I have to strengthen the car any more than I would have to do with the 572? I would like something small so I wouldn't sacrifice weight from power. I would really like to go with the first link it is a carbed motor, and it will put out some good hp numbers

LOL, that's what I was thinking. I thought a used LS1 was too expensive which is why I went LT1!

One man's cheap is another man's expensive I guess.

None of those engines (especially coupled with a suitable transmission/rearend/tire/wheel/chassis) is going to be anything close to cheap.

Guest 280zfast

My godfather is the GM plant manager in ohio soon to be fort wayne indiana again...and I will talk to him about the LS9 and maybe give me some info on this new corvette motor, and see if he can get me a discount on an engine, and transmission it should run me about 23,000 for a brand new engfine and trans. I know the engine is around 19,000 so I'm guessing at the trans price. I know its like buying a new car, and this will be a new car. well a new old car.

Guest 280zfast

well I always wanted something new that I can play with......but maybe I will find a low mileage engine/trans at the salvage yard i used to work at, hmm I will have to see if the still have the Z06 corvette thereI think it was a manual 6 speed I will have to check into it.

Man I like your thinking, the first option ls3 would be awesome, 515hp would be great in a z. I think the 572 is alittle overkill with the compression and all and would limit the "daily driver" status since it would require race gas.

Your going to have to make some mods to the z, I would think the baddog frame rail would be ok for either of the small blocks. 720hp would require a cage to tie it all together, and would probably put you into a solid rear axle conversion IMO to be reliable day to day.

you used to work at a junk yard (recently?) and now you're getting ready to spend $20k+ on and engine and transmission?

You are either:

1. enjoying a really nice job right now

2. going into an insane amount of debt for a car

3. Simply THE man at saving your money

4. A drug dealer

5. not telling us something

Guest 280zfast

hold on I didnt tell you guys that I am planning for this swap in two or more years, and I am really good at saving my money, and currently looking for a new job... pulling parts off of a car for $4.00 a part...NOT HOURLY was crap especially when I was working 57 hour weeks, and only making 300.00-350.00 a week, and had only one day off a week.

now see I can't do that whole two or more years thing, what engine should I buy. In two years who knows what you might be able to afford. Stay up on your research and then when you have "enough" money buy what you want. sb chevy parts will probably stay pretty constant but I imagine LSx parts will be down some in two years.

The 572 need not necessarily be high-compression or unsuitable for the street, but it will be expensive! At a minimum you're looking at a $2500 aftermarket block (tall deck - 10.2"), $1500 crank, $1000 rods, $500 pistons, $2500 heads, $400 cam, $500 lifters, $200 oil pan, $200 pushrods, $600 carb, and so forth.

Big blocks are expensive, and all-aftermarket big blocks are even more expensive.

Also, note that the 572 will be considerably harder to fit in the Z's engine bay than would the LSx, which after all is a small block (at least in terms of exterior dimensions). And to answer your original question, the 572 will weigh on the order of 200 lbs more than the LSx - unless you get an aluminum big block... for which, add another $2000 premium.

WOW i didn't know that...well that eliminates the 572 out of the list. I think I will start to compare LT engines to the LS engines.

If I were going to do this all over again I would look for a wrecked LS1 Fbody. I love my LT1 but prices are starting to come down on the LS1s. Plus you can part out the donor car after you've taken what you need and actually make money. You can always rebuild the engine or just add a few performance parts if you feel the need for more power. Really, 300 RWHP in these lite cars is pretty awesome for a daily driver!

Deja is right. 300hp in a reliable, fully streetable package is nothing to sneeze at! Too often there’s the temptation to go for 500, 600hp – only to end up with a garage queen. If the engine does not start, the car is only making about 1/3hp – when I push it!

As I keep saying, often the hardest part of the swap isn’t the swap itself, but getting the engine to work! If you have a complete donor car in reasonable running condition, not only will the “odds and ends†(sensors, wiring, accessories) be complete and cost-effective to acquire, but the engine itself will be a low-risk proposition.

The problem is finding a good candidate. Locally there’s a ’98 Pontiac Trans Am for sale – LS1, 6-speed, with around 100K miles. Price: $9000 or so. The car looks to be in good shape – no rust, no cracks, no obvious sign of abuse. Not a bad candidate for a dail driver in its own right, but it’s a hideous body style (the red paint makes it even more gaudy and ostentatious), and I could not bring myself to spend $9000 on a donor just for the drivetrain. Nor is there much prospect for selling a “roller†once I’ve stripped it of the useful parts.

Nevertheless, $9K on a crate engine, transmission, clutch/flywheel, accessories and so forth, seems to be the going retail rate for the individual parts. We readily spend $9K on an incomplete and untested collection of parts, but not $9K on a used albeit complete and proven set of parts (with the rest of the car for free). So perhaps the greatest obstacle is defeating the conundrums of one’s own psychology?

I wish that I wasn't in such a rush to build my Gen I small block and get my 240 back on the road. For what I spent to get 400 HP with that engine, I could have bought that 515 HP LS3 for just a bit more $$. Oh well, there's always next time.

I am in the last leg of my hot rod project !!!! If I were to do another swap to a Z, it would be a LS swap, but with a carb or pro-flo injection just to change it up a bit and or find a later model GTO or C5 with drive by wire. But, with your time table, keep your eyes open for a GTO or C5 (all ZO6 corvettes are 6 speed) change the oil pan and pick-up to F-body and your on your way. The LS engine is a great motor, however it is "butt ugly" and they make covers in every form and fashion you can think of to cover the intake. In my honest opinion (MY OPINION) The sight and sound of a carb V8 in a Z still freaks folks out at the local NAPA, Autozone or O'reilly store parking lot !!!!