HybridZ

S&W Roll Cage

Well I finally got my car ready for the first event this Sunday. After working on other cars I got to mine about 2 months ago. I put in a full cage, fuel cell, gutted the doors and interior, Aluminum dash, lighter seats, lexan rear window, bigger sway bars, 5 point harness, 240mm flywheel, racing clutch, added to frame rails, 11lb battery, rear spoiler, headlight covers, 280zx dizzy, and a mild 2.8 EFI engine swap into my 260. Now that I look back on what I did I covered some ground.

The S&W cage isnt worth it. The side bars had to be bent, the roof hoop had to be re-bent, the main hoop had to be re-bent, I wanted a diaganol which isnt provided in the kit, and the bars back to the strut towers had to be re siezed. All the notching had to be re-done. I used the free online notching program and used about 2 grinding wheels to make my notches. I bought this kit used for cheap and would highly advise anyone looking at cages to just buy a $400 bender and some DOM tubing.

Here are some pictures. The dinky welder was just used to tack everything together. Not enough juice in a 110 unit to make good welds in my opinion. I used a larger 220 mig for my final welds.

The dash is in two pieces because I didnt think I could get it around the pillar cage bars in one piece and get a nice fit up to the window.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2080r/id63.htmlefi6.jpg

Well I finally got my car ready for the first event this Sunday. After working on other cars I got to mine about 2 months ago. I put in a full cage, fuel cell, gutted the doors and interior, Aluminum dash, lighter seats, lexan rear window, bigger sway bars, 5 point harness, 240mm flywheel, racing clutch, added to frame rails, 11lb battery, rear spoiler, headlight covers, 280zx dizzy, and a mild 2.8 EFI engine swap into my 260. Now that I look back on what I did I covered some ground.

The S&W cage isnt worth it. The side bars had to be bent, the roof hoop had to be re-bent, the main hoop had to be re-bent, I wanted a diaganol which isnt provided in the kit, and the bars back to the strut towers had to be re siezed. All the notching had to be re-done. I used the free online notching program and used about 2 grinding wheels to make my notches. I bought this kit used for cheap and would highly advise anyone looking at cages to just buy a $400 bender and some DOM tubing.

Here are some pictures. The dinky welder was just used to tack everything together. Not enough juice in a 110 unit to make good welds in my opinion. I used a larger 220 mig for my final welds.

The dash is in two pieces because I didnt think I could get it around the pillar cage bars in one piece and get a nice fit up to the window.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2080r/id63.htmlefi6.jpg

you said you added frame rails do you have any pics of that? i would like to see how thats done on a z

you said you added frame rails do you have any pics of that? i would like to see how thats done on a z

If he doesn't have any pics, search "subframe connectors". It's been done a lot and there are plenty of pics to be seen, from home made stuff to prefabbed stuff.