HybridZ

"Top Secret" Gold paint

jakeoster

Hey guys I was thinking about buying some of that "Top Secret" gold paint to paint my 280z. I think it would look really nice. If i do get it i will buy the real paint direct from Top Secret, I'm not going to try and have it made because it never comes out right. Heres what it looks like: http://www.topsecretjpn.com/r34drag6.jpg What do you guys think?

not many paint shops or suppliers are gona be able to match that color. from what i can see it has a almost chrome gold finish from one angle but it seems faded on the bumper. the only people i can think who would have a chance of matching that would be ALSA corp custom paint, House of Color, or Sherwin Williams Planet Color. unfortunately, there arent many house of color shops that you can get a color match and alsa corp is located in europe somewhere and there are no stores out here. i work for sherwin williams automotive finishes and that color just looks like a pain to match. your probably better off with buying the paint from them to save you the headaches.

That is why I am buying it from Top Secret. If you try and copy it it looks cheesy and never comes out right. My only problem at this point is trying to figure out if I will have enough. You can buy a quart of it for about $500 dollars. I am going to have a professional paint it and I do not know if that will be enough paint to do the outside of the car and the door jams. You cannot get extra paint as you need it they only sell it by the quart. If you thin it out you can get more paint. Do you guys know if this would work or would i need more? If i would, then I would not be able to afford it.

a quart will not paint your whole car. reducing it more will not make the paint go that much further since because if you reduce it more that you should, you will need more coats of the paint to cover the car. i think for 500 a quart you are gettin ripped a new one. there are a lot of nice paint ideas you can get for that kinda money. my personal feeling being someone who sells it for a living. i would find something else you like because i could sell you enough paint just as nice and it would include primer, color, and clear.

i've heard rumors from a friend who wanted to paint his yamaha r6 top secret gold that they will review your car and if they deem it to not be up to "par" they won't sell you the paint.

if you paint it true top secret gold that would be super baller. but if you thin it out, i'm sure it would screw up the hue. i'd probably get it paint matched as close as possible.

Alrite thanks for your knowledge ls1hybridz that really helped me out. My philosophy is I am willing to pay more money for exactly what I want instead of getting less but I cannot see myself paying $800 for paint alone, I simply cant afford it. Also thanks MJlamberson for your input.

Yeah they do review your car. I was thinking they would approve it because it would be something different. I'm currently building a 280z with an rb25 swap and I'm going to put the deep Watanabe wheels and ZG flairs on it so I was thinking that they would dig their paint on a classic. Kinda like a new and old fusion.

i have messed with their product and its a little fussy to get to lay out the way you want it to. i would suggest finding someone who has sprayed it alot. the company itself has terrible customer service when it comes to getting you information along with your product so keep that in mind

not many paint shops or suppliers are gona be able to match that color. from what i can see it has a almost chrome gold finish from one angle but it seems faded on the bumper. the only people i can think who would have a chance of matching that would be ALSA corp custom paint, House of Color, or Sherwin Williams Planet Color. unfortunately, there arent many house of color shops that you can get a color match and alsa corp is located in europe somewhere and there are no stores out here. i work for sherwin williams automotive finishes and that color just looks like a pain to match. your probably better off with buying the paint from them to save you the headaches.

plastics always dry a slightly different color than metals...biggest problem at my shop

yes i will agree with that. thanks for pointing that out. you can avoid this problem but it takes some time on different types of plastics. plastics and fiberglass tend to absorb alot of the solvents in the paint causing a tinted color from the metal parts. i know with fiberglass, once you spray your primer, let it sit in the sun for about 2 weeks or so. that way the primer is fully soaked in. this will help the color hold out on plastic similar to the metal.

Are you talking about the decal on the hood or the Advan-gold paint on the car?

I wanted that gold on my Dc2 4years ago but the paint was $400 a quart +shipping from Japan

I found it easier to copy advan gold it cost half as much I order a pint to be made for a project for $80.00