HybridZ

P90 CR Head Modification

twilsonx

I'm not trying to go budget on my head build, Thorfin is mailing me a sample shim, and I'm having a family member(has his own machine shop) machine me custom cam tower shims to whatever height i need. I'm going stainless valves to be able stronger. I'm getting a MSA Cam kit, Kameari adjustable cam sproket, custom intake(either 1fastz's flange or JustinOleson's flange), port and polish....so i'm definatly not tryin to go low budget....

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get 200+ out of a N/A car, just let me know

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the overall point of jeffp's posts has been that the p-90 shave job is NOT a light weight modification, and at least by some standards is too highly modified for utmost reliability at the ragged edge of performance.

Top-funded projects, expecting top-quality performance and maximum reliability, demand properly assembled components, and shimming the towers up like this is a liability, if not quite a "risk" or an "issue." Electramotive (sp?) wouldn't be shaving P90s; if anything, they would be welding N42s.

The focus of the misunderstanding is on the fact that some of us (like me) ARE budget-builders, and some of us are most assertively NOT, and ALL of us inherently have differing levels of craftsman's standards in our work. Put three guys in a shop, one will try to do the job as quick and dirty as possible, another will want to go to every expense to "do it right," and the third will be more moderate. Which guy is right? Typically its the second guy that winds up working for Porsche or Ferrari, or a Formula 1 team. All of us lie somewhere in between.

FWIW, my amateur opinion is that I want to shave a P-90 and play some games with it; so I read every project that involves one and already know where to borrow copies of my Datsun engine books (honsowitz, and the other guys' too.) I have no illusions as to the righteousness of the build though, and I also have plenty of head cores to opt out to in the future if I decide I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Now, on a lighter note, I am going to throw a chair into an already angry

mob.....

"Quench."

:willy_nilYou may all go berserk now.:b_hand::beatdeadh:ass:

I still dont understand why you would do this when you can get a maxima N47 and be done with it. O.K., so the compression ends up being about 11.5:1 with flat tops, but if you unshroud the valves and do a little clean up in the combustiuon chamber, you can get it down while improving the flow.

Ask 1 fast Z, for the money its a good head. If street ported, it will flow quite well, even with the small intake valve. Its got high swirl, high QUENCH design (yeah, I said the Q word) and you wont need to play games with cam timing, cam tower shims or having 2mm shaved off the bottom of it.

The MN42 has the smaller valves, and exhaust liners. The P90 is easier to come by. Some of us think that 11.5:1 is too much compression for street gas. Shaving a head is cheap, and shimming cam towers is easy, and all of that is unnecessary with the Kameari tensioner and a cam gear.

There are good arguments for both heads.

For the record I don't see any problem at all with shaving heads and I don't consider it to have any sort of detrimental effect on the engine. Never heard that before, it's not described as a "risky" procedure in any of the books I've read. I'm not pushing 600 hp out of an L either, but that particular criticism just doesn't make sense to me...

• Administrators

The focus of the misunderstanding is on the fact that some of us (like me) ARE budget-builders, and some of us are most assertively NOT, and ALL of us inherently have differing levels of craftsman's standards in our work. Put three guys in a shop, one will try to do the job as quick and dirty as possible, another will want to go to every expense to "do it right," and the third will be more moderate. Which guy is right? Typically its the second guy that winds up working for Porsche or Ferrari, or a Formula 1 team. All of us lie somewhere in between.

EXACTLY!

Some perspective folks…

These are Datsun’s, which in name sake IS budget!!! These are NOT Porsches or Ferraris. As such, MOST Datsun guys tend to be frugal, the cars are cheap to begin with! I'll be honest with you all. If I had the money to do it right in the first place, I’d start with a Ferrari and build from there! Instead of being money rich, we tend to be ingenuity rich so we take these cheap little Jap cars and alter them, modify them, try different things, all in effort to bring this cheap little Datsun up to a performance level on par with the financially out of reach exotic offerings!

My head that I purchased of abes should be here any day now, any last words of advise before I start building it?

I ask you this: have you gone through the stickies, and the FAQ links to offsite web write-ups, and the various threads discussing the head build? There is a TON of very very detailed description about this, and why you should and should not do it, and how it is done correctly. This thread, as thorough and concise as it has been, hasn't been anywhere NEAR "complete," so as long as you have done your reading then all it takes is patience and care, just like any proper performance head would.

I wish you much success, and look forward to seeing your results.

BTW, I only threw the term "quench" in there because thus far, THAT entire can of worms had not yet entered this discussion.. so I thought I would open it up :flamedevi

ya, I've read all the stickies as well as How to rebuild your L28 and How to Modify your L28 and I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I'm going to take lots of pictures of the 2mm shave and shim mod so I can post a "how to" thread and get it stickied.

Anyone know of any dyno's or flowbenches in the IL, IN area?