HybridZ

280z stub axle nuts

ozzinc

Im about to remove my stub axles from my 240z suspension,

1. what is the easiest way to remove the stub axle, ive been hammering this stub axle with a 2x4 covering the threaded area.

2. Im almost sure to have to replace the nuts for the stub axle and where do i get these nuts.

3. I will be upgrading the stub axle to a 280z stub axle, the reason for this is that modern motorsports say that the cv stub axles that I am purchasing from them say it will only work with the 280z stubs.

Zcarparts.com ie Motorsports sells the nuts I'm sure Courtesy Nissan sells them too.

I'd take the assembly to a machine shop and have them remove the axles and nuts for you, trust me it will save you some time. They had to torch one of mine to get it off. Figure your not going to using the 240 stubs again or the nuts because they will be trashed.

If you can't get the stub axle out, take a center punch, stick it in the dimple on the inside of the axle, and whale on it with a BFH. I usually find that they come out fairly easily with a big air hammer and the center punch tip for it.

Judging by your comment about the nut, I expect that you did not cut the peened area off before you removed it. That would lead me to believe that the threads are all wiped off on the end of the axle. When you get your 280 stuff if you have to take those nuts off then be sure to cut the peened section off the nut before you loosen it. I did mine with a Dremel and a cut off wheel. If you don't do this, you'll spend hours with a thread file fixing the threads so that you can put your new nuts on the axle. Modern Motorsports sends out the 280ZXT stub axle nuts which don't require that peening of the nut so you won't have to mess with that again should you need to change wheel bearings or something later on.

Reaplce with 280zx nuts as mentioned above. To pull the axles I bought a $5 slide hammer on Ebay. I bolted a 1/4" thick steel plate to the end of the shaft and drilled holes for the companion flange and put bolts through it. Using the tool I easily removed the companion flange and stub axles.

To undo the 27mm nut I put pipe between the studs and put a 4' pipe assist as a cheater ontop of my breaker.

The slide hammer is now very useful as I use it to pull everything from bearings to differential stubs out. Original intent was to pull out the spindle pins with it... It didn't have enough mass.

My Z31 CV adapters showed up from Ross! Very cool pieces, indeed! They came with all the hardware....as advertised. :)

1-280Z-06_CV_adapters.jpg

im about to order the cv adapters for the 280zxt, but I want to get them express. did you receive your order in a timely manner.

im about to order the cv adapters for the 280zxt, but I want to get them express. did you receive your order in a timely manner.

Yep, got them pretty quickly. Ross has a U.S. and Canadian supplier, so it saves quite a bit of time in shipping. You won't wait too long on these, as most people have them in 3-5 days, from what I've heard from others who have ordered them.

Just went through this whole process twice this week. Jon's suggestions above work 99% of the time getting the stub axles out of the housing. I encounterd that 1% a couple days ago. I literally had to use a 20 ton press to push the stub axle out of the housing. It seems the outer bearing siezed and then spun in the housing, for a while. God knows what horrible noise it must have made - it sure screamed when the press bore down on it. There were parts of the bearing outer race stuck to the housing.

Threw the housing and the stub axle away. Probably should have at least took some pictures.