HybridZ

Electric or motor fan?

BurnoutZ

Which gets better results? Ive always thought electric but when i inquired about this subject to a guy that drag races he says that the motor fans do a better job of cooling. On othe other hand ive heard you gain 15 hp with switching to an electric. Do motor fans really spin faster? What are some of the best motor fans that will work in a z with an L6 engine providing maximum cooling abilities?

I've done away with my fans to convert to electric. I just fired up my 72 p/u and I've got that land whale, gotta to say when the car is running I get a little scared.

Do a little searching since your in a hurry you'll find the answers. Mine is go electic.

I wouldn't say he was bsing, just maybe his opinion. Motor fans are great for cooling, but you do have some parasitic loss on the engine. Then again many will argue that you have the same loss from the extra draw on the alternator from an electric fan. From the butt dyno I can say that when I put an electric on my 77 I felt an increase in performance and the engine seemed to have more response. But there's also the problem with the electrical system in a Z. The alts don't put out enough power at idle to maintain all the system components with an electric fan. Say you're sitting at idle at a stop light at night and you fan kicks on. Your lights are going to dim and the engine is going to bog slightly from the power loss. There's pitfalls to everything. Personally I like the electric fan, but you'll need an alt upgrade at least.

I went to electric fan a few years back and will not go back to clutch fan. Simple fact , it looks cleaner. Both do a great job of cooling the L motor down. If you do go with a electric fan, Just make sure you get a good one. I have a 16" zirgo and have been pretty happy with it. If you have the money. Flexalite are the best. Dual 10" fans with a built in shroud.

I also was very happy to get rid of that wine from the engine fan!!! For someone in the future searching IF YOU HAVE A/C YOU WILL HAVE TO RESOVLE THE PROBLEM OF COOLING FOR THE CONDENSER, EVEN COLD OUT WITH IN MINUTES OF A COLD START ON THE ENGINE I BLEW ALL MY R12,,,,,,,, TWICE!

I plan on running electric. http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=342 It is a 16" fan that flows 3000CFM for $80. The Flex-a-lite black magic is $225 more and only flows 300CFM more...so almost $1 per CFM more. I know you get what you pay for sometimes but this is an electric fan. The cheap one could be replaced 3 times for me to equal the cost of a flex-a-lite.

I got this link from a guy that is selling these slimline fans for group buy prices on honda-tech.com, he also has 9", 10", 12", & 14" http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=2034400&page=12

For me, a significant, unexpected byproduct of using an electric fan was how much more pleasant it was to work on a running motor. For me, the large fan spinning and the torrents of air blasting through the engine compartment was intimidating. I always wanted to hurry and get it over with. My engine compartment now is much more pleasant, with just the subdued clicking and humming while I putter away in there, a nice place to be.