HybridZ

MSA fiberglass bumpers on a 73 z

DeLorean

Hey guys, I need some help. My car, a 1973 240z, is almost out of the shop after about a year and one of the last things to do is the front and rear bumpers. I bought the fiberglass front and rear bumpers from MSA and the early style mounting brackets (which are required, but need to be modified).

Does anyone have the specs on what needs to be done to the mounting brackets? I searched but was unable to come up with anything solid. I called MSA but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about (?).

Any help would be super appreciated...Thanks.

I have the same fiberglass bumpers on my 260z. I had to remove the stock bumper "shocks" and replace them with brackets that I made.

I couldn't justify the cost of factory brackets when the ones I made cost me about $5.00 plus a little fab time (approx. 1 hour).

If your car came with the shock mounted bumpers you will have to use the old style solid mounts. Mounting them should be pretty straight forward without any bracket modifications.

If you could post some pics of your issues I could probably be of more assistance.

I could be wrong, but as long as you have the early style mounting brackes I don't think you need to do any modification. I swapped out the 73 brackets for earlier one's when I installed my early style bumper and it was really straight forward. The 73 brackets use different mounting points but the early mounting points are still there as well. Just remove the newer type brackets and install the early style ones.

• 7 months later...

For my MSA fiberglass rear bumper on my 280Z I bought those rediculously expensive brackets from Datsun Spirit. Technically, the brackets are for European 260Z/Japanese A-S30/S31 models. These brackets bolt to the mounting holes in the valance just like a 240Z bumper would. Unfortunately they don't exactly line up with the MSA bumper mounting brackets. I had to make new brackets for the MSA rear bumper and glass them onto the MSA bumper. But if you have the early 240Z brackets it should just bolt on.