HybridZ

BMW 850 CSI Top Speed TEST (185mph!)

Challenger

Guest Fenivision

Having lived in Austria, I had the pleasure of driving on the german Autobahn every once in a while, but this nonexistant traffic is really rare .... I took my own Z3 M Coupe up to 155 (didn't have it derestricted), but took my sister's boyfriends Techart 911 Turbo (996 TT) up to 192mph. (Legaly ;) )

My personal impression is that it doesn't seem much faster after 150/160 .... I guess it's just too fast for the eye anyway :D

But I have never come across an Autobahn with such little traffic, that was one good day for that guy.

Oh .. and the funny thing is how safe and sound 110mph feel after going 180/190 ... haha

Guest Fenivision
I know my 540i gets 27 mpg hwy and only 8 mpg on the track (road course). I bet he used up $10 worth of gas in that little stint! :)

A lot more than that, considering a gallon is roughly 9.30 USD over in Germany :D

Boy am I happy I moved here :burnout:

What I've noticed with my own 911TT is that the "coast down" is rather long and takes quite some distance to get back to "sane-Jail" speeds. The really wierd thing is that the windnoise in the Porsche is really reduced compared to the 168mph run I did in the Zcar, which was deafening... The 1995 Mustang SVT we had was rock solid stable at 140MPH and was dead quiet.

Couldn't imagine having taken my M Roadster that high in speed... Didn't seem like it would have been happy or stable at that speed...

Mike

Guest Fenivision

Couldn't imagine having taken my M Roadster that high in speed... Didn't seem like it would have been happy or stable at that speed...

Mike

Having had the M Coupe with the S50 (the Euro-engine till the S54 came out) engine I can say I've been in a lot more stable cars at 155mph (didn't take the limiter out), but it never felt unsafe.

The 996 TT of course is a different story, I just love how that car hugs the road, regardless of the speed.

And for those who fear I'm crazy going that fast on public roads ... all tested on the Autobahn between Salzburg and München (Munich).