HybridZ

Needs Opinions On Ratchet Shifter

Scottie-GNZ

Anyone out have a ratchet shifter or experience with them? I would like to get your experiences and honest opinion to help me decide which to get. I am leaning towards the B&M Hammer but the Megashifter, Quicksilver and Pro Ratchet all look good.

It is absolutely critical for my setup that the indicator be clearly legible. Because of my transbrake, I cannot put the trans in 1st gear if the car is in motion and when I do put the shifter in 1st I must be instantly sure it is in 1st.

TIA.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Scott, I just finished the 7oor4 install in my Z around a month ago. I am using the hammer shifter and so far like it alot. Took some getting used to but I do like it. Am used to manual trans but really like it in an auto. I think it cost 200 bucks.

Mike

Scottie,

I have a QuickSilver in my Camaro and Ive used it for along time. Ratchet shifters are GREAT for racing auto-cars. Mine has been very solid and accurate for years. Once the cable is adjusted correctly they are basically foolproof. On mine you lift the whole handle to get into and out of the forward gears. I just lift it from park all the way down to first and it will STAY there til I hit it. In your case (dragracing) its really a "gotta-have" item. Just simplifies the gear banging so your can concentrate on your shift points, etc. As for being absolutely SURE its in first..you will be. Just pull the release and drop the stick to the bottom of the gate and when it cant go any further, you are in first..period (ofcoarse unless you have a reverse valve-bodied tranny) You'll be happy with one I bet. The most popular with we muscle guys is the Pro-Ratchet..but you really cant go wrong with any B&M stuff. Good luck smile.gif

------------------

71 240Z soon to be 350'd

73 Camaro street/strip project w/490BBC,10-point cage..my "budget bully"

2000 F150 on 35's "DirtSlinger"

have a look...

http://www.JasonsHobbyShowcase.homestead.com/homepage.html

"If speed kills..Im a DANGEROUS GUY!"

>:^)

[This message has been edited by Racin_Jason (edited March 25, 2001).]

Scottie,

I'm not 100% sure how your trans brake works, I don't know what gear your shifter needs to be in for it to work. However, I do know that on the B&M Hammer shifter, you can only get to 1st gear from 2nd gear. There is no way to go from OD all the way to first withour racheting through 3 and 2 along the way. The only way to instantly go into first would be with a reverse valve body.

Besides that, I've been happy with the Hammer shifter. I wasn't too happy with the initial size of the whole contraption, but it grew on me. Also, it feels very nice and the shifter is stiff... but not too stiff. Just make sure that cable is adjusted correctly. I had my trans kickdown into 2nd gear at 100mph once because the shifter wasn't adjusted correctly.

-Andy

Thanks for the response guys. From an appearance standpoint, I prefer the Quicksilver. Typically when a manufacturer has several similar items, the highest priced one is usually the best quality. However, siince the hammer has that special handle and a leather boot, I wonder if that is what makes it more expensive than the others or are the mechanicals different/better. I too am concerned about the size of the big Hammer cover since the 71 console is narrow and it will probably come close to the fuse box.

I engage my transbrake by physically placing the shifter in 1st, and as I understand it, that puts the trans in 1st and reverse at the same time. I get the car moving by simply pushing the shifter into 2nd. The reason why I want to be certain it is in 1st is because once I trip the 2nd yellow, I yank it in 1st, get off the brake and romp on the go-pedal to bring up the boost. If it is not in 1st, I obviosly roll and trip the red light.

Because the 1-2 and 2-3 happens so fast, right now I push the shifter into 2nd and go to 3rd immediately and let the trans auto shift at WOT. The Pro-Stick requires gripping the handle and releasing it AFTER you shift to 3rd. With the ratchet I will just have to tap it twice. I am sure the wife will be a lot more comfortable with that also.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Hmmm...

I though Trans Brakes had a little button that would engage the reverse clutchs while in first gear. Then, when the button was released, the reverse clutchs would be disengaged. I didn't realize that some brakes automatically engaged the reverse while in first gear. I guess they are all different.

This is the only picture I got of my shifter, it's OK but I know you've seen it before. Getting the plastic base to fit took a bit of time, but it doesn't look too bad. I was in a total hurry when I did it and it could have been done better. Also, the hole in the consol for the shifter needed to be lengthened for the Hammer to fit.

Oh yeah, it takes a considerable amount of force to shift gears. Nothing that my wife couldn't handle (and she's no powerhouse), but I wouldn't really call it a "tap". By the way, where did you get your trans brake. I've been looking for a 700R4 brake and nobody has a clue. I figure someone that has one for a 2004R can't be to far from a 700R4 brake.

-Andy

Hammer Pic:

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/witeface.jpg

------------------

"But I don't sit idly by,

I'm planning a big surprise."

Andrew's Land of Z and Honey

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited March 26, 2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Thanks for the response guys. From an appearance standpoint, I prefer the Quicksilver. Typically when a manufacturer has several similar items, the highest priced one is usually the best quality. However, siince the hammer has that special handle and a leather boot, I wonder if that is what makes it more expensive than the others or are the mechanicals different/better. I too am concerned about the size of the big Hammer cover since the 71 console is narrow and it will probably come close to the fuse box.

Scottie, I've had my Hammer installed since late last spring. Others who've used various shifters say it's stiff and I agree. Mechanics are same AFAIK as the megashifter. Leather boot/chrome knob etc make up the difference. As far as size etc, they're all about the same and you can 'sink' the setup down into your tunnel if you like. I have room to do that but nowhere near the top of my priority list now. Handle location is actually quite ideal relative to my steering wheel so although lowering it would look better (to me, us import guys are used to shallow/short shifters) I'm hesitant to do so.

I have had problems with a few bolts on mine loosening up. On my handle the two bolt 'pins' have come loose even after loctite...finally double nutted them, and just 5 wks ago I was losing some shift quality and checked it out...EVERY single nut underneath related to it was loose so they all got recranked/loctited (no loctite first time on them/I did it a friends hoist and no loctite that late night). But then my car likes to loosen bolts.

As mentioned you pull it to D and then ratchet down to 1st. With the times you're pulling you may prefer a prostick type setup which might be more durable as it's more intended for hardcore drag racing, just guessing their. The Hammer has no 'ordinary' indicators, all indicators are backlit in a red light so you only see what gear you're presently in as a backlit number/letter and it's somewhat sensitive to your viewing angle (ie. a 6'6" husband and 5'2" wife wouldnt' see it the same I'd venture). Works fine, I was disapointed in the quality of the plastic bits on the inside and the indicator (easily scratched I'm sure) for the $ and I felt they could have made the wiring harness longer/beefier..I had to extend all my wires. But I don't know that any others are better.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Spoke with B&M today and the tech talked me into the Pro-Ratchet despite it not having a lighted indicator. He did not (obviously) say anything negative about the Hammer, Quicksilver or Megashifter, he just stated, like the Pro-Stick, the Pro-Ratchet is made for racing and is indestructable. He also said there is no mistaking it being in 1st. The final selling point was that the mounting plate was similar to the Pro-Stick so I could probably end up reusing the same bolt holes and not have to reposition the cable.

If it is anything like the Pro-stick in terms of durability and preciseness, I will be happy. With my carparts.com coupon, I am looking at $142 + shipping.

Thanks for all the responses.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

• 3 weeks later...

drove a 460bb 69 mustang with a manual valve bodied c6 with a ratchet shifter, i dont like autos that much but that bad boy was teh only way to go with that motor in there,

two clicks away from being in outerspace....

you only need to push the button to go into first when youre stopped, and you get fifty feet of rubber with a stall converter and a heavy foot, ok thats all i know about autos....