HybridZ

LS1 headers problem

Anyone have any problem with the JTR LS1 ceramic coated headers? The headers on my friend's car is pitting thru the ceramic coat. Did we just got some bad luck and got a bad set of headers from the manufacturer?

Same is taking place on mine, I plan to have them redone over the winter.

My JTR SBC headers did the same, but I used a different company for the ceramic coating (nothing against JTR, I just changed my mind later). Would something in the material cause this? I'm not familiar with ceramic coating, but I wouldn't think it would...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys I called up because I didn;t want it to seem like we are flaming JTR. Mike has been very helpful to me when I was just starting out with my swap 2years ago. I was told we should try to clean them with a polish cleaner, the spot we all see maybe from dirt or other grim burning on the headers. I am sure Mike will see this thread but we all shoudl try our best to make sure we do have a problem. I will try this weekend and take before and after pics.

Clive

i skipped the ceramic coating they offered for 2 reasons

• wanted to clean up any of the [inner] welds in the collector as well as port match the header with a die grinder
  • have used swaintech thermal barrier coatings since 1989 and never had a problem-have nearly 9000 miles on the headers...you guessed it with no problems

my 2 cents.

when i took the headers to swaintech, i met with the owner [dan swain] who is a corvette guy. he asked what the headers were for, told him an ls1-he says, why not some long tubes-then i explained what the engine was going into...he gets this big smile on his face!

Hi,

We occassionally have complaints about the ceramic coating.

Many times, there is surface rust on the coating caused by metal filings and metal dust settling on the header and creating rust spots. Even dirty oil with iron particles will cause a rust stain on the coating. To remove the staining, use an aluminum polish.

If the rust is coming from underneath the coating, or the coating is flaking off, this is covered by Sanderson Headers.

Hi,

We occassionally have complaints about the ceramic coating.

Many times, there is surface rust on the coating caused by metal filings and metal dust settling on the header and creating rust spots. Even dirty oil with iron particles will cause a rust stain on the coating. To remove the staining, use an aluminum polish.

If the rust is coming from underneath the coating, or the coating is flaking off, this is covered by Sanderson Headers.

Thanks Mike, I knew you would chime in on this issue. I plan to try to clean mine up next week.

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I am glad you chime in also. I hope no one take it the wrong way by this post. I appreciate all the stuffs you guys do for the Z community. I will buy stuffs from you guys in a heart beat. Back to the headers, I didn't reallized the problem either until my friend called me up the other day and told me about it. I will try to clean them up and see what happens. Sorry I should have called.

Vinh

• 1 month later...