HybridZ

Limited-slip

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Do all (stock) 240z lack limited slips or rear lockers? If so can you get after-market limited-slips for them?

------------------

"Anyone who is not shocked by quatum theory does not understand it."

Niels Bohr

No U.S. Z had a limited slip until 300ZX Turbos starting in April of '87. These were 3.70 clutch-type LSDs. Any April '87 - '89 Turbo has this except the all pearl white SS models, which had a viscous LSD. The clutch types are a very easy retrofit, requiring either slotting of fastener holes in the forward diff mount and moustache bar or use of 280Z R200 mount and bar. 280Z R200 input and output flanges are also required. The viscous unit, I'm told, can be made to work if new snap-ring grooves are machined in the 280Z output flanges.

Aftermarket Quaiffe LSDs (similar to Torsen) are available, I believe for R180 and R200 diffs, for ~$1200 for the LSD unit only.

Dan Baldwin

'71 240Z 3.1 (3.70 LSD from 300ZX Turbo)

COMSCC #7 SPB

• 5 weeks later...

i have a 88 3.7 lsd in my 77 turbo z.the lsd makes doing darius donuts easy.i put one wheel on the chassis dyno rollers at work and lowered the dyno and left one wheel on floor.car pulled it self out of dyno rollers so lsd unit must be ok.i put it in at work last saturday and screwed up the pinion preload changing pinion flange so i will have to pull it and replace bearings and seals after work cause car is going to motorsport show on friday.ordererd all new bearings & seals from nissan.

Randy, how did you screw up the bearing preload? And what did that do?? Did you crush anything? I'm curious as I've swapped a few flanges now on mine and others that seem fine guesstimating their torque spec (it is a somewhat broad spec). Was it going to tight I assume that damaged it??

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

ross -i know i over-torqued the pinion flange.i used a torque wrench and put pinion flange in vise and torqued to 180 ft/lbs but wrench didnt click untill i put lots of torque on it.i usually just snug it down with impact gun & red locktite.the ford dealer where i work is cool about working on you own cars after work .if i wrench hard i can probably do the bearing & seal job in 4 hours.i found and old chilton manual at work with specs and instructions.i want my car to work like a new car.this last minute thrashing before motorsport show is killing me.