HybridZ

How to remove stripped bolt

twinturbos

ok

i just went through this two days ago.

here's what I did.

1) buy a small socket extension, lets say 2 to 4 inches

2) GRIND OFF the top of the extension so the entire extension's engagement tip is flat from hilt to tip, not rounded like it is straight out of the package. That facilitates slipping sockets on easier.

3) if you have to, weld some shims on the extension. some 12 guage steel shims/spacers are great. weld them to the extension and grind it down to the size you need so that it fills the rounded hole on the fill plug.

4) heat the bastard up good, and have a spray bottle of water. The water won't be so much to shock the filler bolt because the aluminum will dissipative the heat before you're able to grab your bottle, but it will help incase there is a fire ;)

5) breaker bar + extension + two people holding the car steady at the front and back so it doesn't shift forward and fall on you after falling off jackstands.

6) The forearm and chest of a god, or maybe a Titan.

Thor is suitable.

My filler bolt was on there so tight that I thought I was actually going to crack the transmission case and basically break the entire bolt/thread area.

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION. my transmission was not on the car, so that's where step 5 comes in. As an indication of how tight these can get, I had to use a breaker bar and put my entire body's weight into the thing. YOU WILL NEVER be able to take this out with a screwdriver or anything smaller/thinner than a breaker-bar (3 feet long).

Even the 3rd and 4th turn were harder than any bolt I've ever had the pleasure of removing.

I used an Ingersol Rand QTi Titanium air gun in full reverse and it WOULD NOT BUDGE. Don't even mess with a screw driver. Don't bother welding anything to it just yet. Guaranteed you will either break the welds, or make it impossible to get off completely if that doesn't end up working for you and you've sealed the socket hold.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't use a fire bottle unless if you are really wanting the fire to be out. The material inside an estinguisher corrodes metal.

Thats why when you do flag duty at tracks for clubs, if its a small flame ask the driver if he wants to use it, because it will ruins a motor and each the body.

This might be a little early, but remember when you go to install your new filler plug to 1) Not overtighten it and 2) Use RTV grey to seal the threads. The reason fill plugs always seem to get stuck is the plugs are steel and the case is aluminum, and some monkey at one time overtightened it. The dissimilar metals make for a major pain in the ass. All can be avoided by sealing with RTV and a whole lot less torque.

- Greg -

This might be a little early, but remember when you go to install your new filler plug to 1) Not overtighten it and 2) Use RTV grey to seal the threads. The reason fill plugs always seem to get stuck is the plugs are steel and the case is aluminum, and some monkey at one time overtightened it. The dissimilar metals make for a major pain in the ass. All can be avoided by sealing with RTV and a whole lot less torque.

- Greg -

+1 on the RTV. Whomever did the last one on my trans probably did not remove the fill plug and just vacuum pumped the old trans or something through the check plug, which was sealed overly-tight WITH RTV.

question, what's the diff between grey and black RTV? I got both of the Permatex Right Stuff brand, and the grey is for "imports" apparently.

IF YOU WANT YOUR MANHOOD BACK, YOU WILL REMOVE THAT FILL PLUG, DAMNIT! :cuss:

trying to take the easy way out, are you!? why we oughtta... :icon51:

:lmao::lmao:

Even if I did that, as soon as the other tranny was out I would do what ever it would take just because I would not want to be "owned" by one stupid bolt!!:):)

question, what's the diff between grey and black RTV? I got both of the Permatex Right Stuff brand, and the grey is for "imports" apparently.

Im sure you can use either. The websites seem to indicate that the grey stuff has higher vibration resistance, but who knows. I prefer the grey because it is less conspicuous around metal joints. That and all the OEM seals are grey.

- Greg -

Im sure you can use either. The websites seem to indicate that the grey stuff has higher vibration resistance, but who knows. I prefer the grey because it is less conspicuous around metal joints. That and all the OEM seals are grey.

- Greg -

cool. there was a permatex double mini pack with two mini bottles of both, so i got the smaller pump/plunger because it's easier to fit in small areas, and i had asked the parts counter guy to cut the second black RTV out and replace it with one grey RTV so I can have both, and well... HE DID IT :D

so now i'll use the grey for my filler plugs.

=)

thanks for the info.