HybridZ

How to remove stripped bolt

twinturbos

I saw these at at a plumbing outlet, http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/category.cfm?SID=1&Category_ID=6

I can not seem to find the one's at snap-on. Maby channel bought the patient?

That is pretty close to what they looked like. Call channel and inquire about application.

As you turn the tool the jaws grip harder. You can put more effort into tuning with out haveing to sqeeze as much.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was not very usefull on my part... wait.... Ahh man there site is haveing problem, just my luck.

They are called nutbusters. It will shear the part if they are as good as the snap on ones. (if it can not be loosened)

As I mentioned previously, I've found that the heat from welding the nut on there is the key. It usually breaks things loose very well. Get a big nut that will just slide over the end of the thing and then fill in the center section. It'll glow hot, let it sit & cool a bit, them crank it off. (hopefully) As for any oil, it not really combustable & won't start a fire with a wire welder or a gas torch. Just clean around the area and have at it.

If you have use of a welder ,weld another nut onto it .Just weld up the center of the nut. If no welder try nut with jb weld

A stick welder is the go, the heat helps too. I've actually done this and it works.

As that used to be my car and I changed all the fluids, as I told you, Mike, I can tell you that plug is in there good; I gave a little try at it then just used the reverse light switch to get into the tranny. You'll end up with plenty fluid if you just HAVE to change it out again.

wherezmytofu, your method will not nearly work on this plug. It would need a 1/2" deep and 1/4" wide slot put in it to get a stronge enough flat bar in there and it still probably wouldn't budge.

I say leave it.

well you never mentioned that you changed out the tranny fluids and you dont like to pick up your phone after i purchased the car......

It might have something to do with the circumstances under which you were calling. I can help but, like anyone here, we want you to learn to feed yourself. It's not just me that is frustrated with the way you ask for help. We can take it offline via PM if you want to discuss it more; but I will also tell you I've got some really terrible stuff going on right now.

Also, I specifically remember telling you I changed ALL fluids in the car except for the coolant as it was in such good shape - this was part of my sales pitch. Your lack of even trying to remember stuff like this is a huge part of the frustration, especially when you then challenge me on it.

Crud this thread is done, down for the count, asta lavista.

The way I see it is this:

You buy a car of old vintage and expect every thing to be given to you with out pay,, not going to happen.

I've yet to see you try to do any of the advice that was given to you.

It is JUST A STUCK BOLT! This is not some kind of deal breaker!!

As for the seller, selling to someone on the board carries a certian responsiblity. This case seems clear enough but in the future list everything that is worng in public forum to not have to under go this in the future.

This thread gives me the willies.

Weird, it was just a stuck bolt.

For the record, and with no intention of infuriating twinturbos further, our deal was outside of Hybridz and prior to his joining HybridZ. It wasn't even up for sale yet when he asked to buy it and I knowingly sold it to him for $500 less than I could have sold it on Craigslist.

Mike, I wanna be friends! Well, at least not enemies :)

Well... all that can be said here is that is a tough nut!

Seriously you are not going to let that little stuck bolt break you. are you?

A couple of words for future reference...

Stuck filler bolts are COMMON!!!!

Always remove the fill plug FIRST. A tranny with old oil is better than a tranny with NO OIL.

As far as getting stuck bolts and nuts free... That is what makes a REAL-Mechanic vs. shadetree mechanic.

generally speaking, using the right tool the first time is the best way to go.

• 1 month later...

Yah those suckers are hard to get out. I had to take mine out 3 times in 6 months cause of a tranny leak. Now it just drips every once and a while so I don't care. What I am always worried about is the car falling on me. I was tugging and pushing so hard a hernia wouldn't be so surprising. While I was under there I noticed I needed some floor plugs and while I was looking at the interior of my car from underneath it... I found a remote! Apparently, the stereo has a remote! Now I'm a cool kid who can change station 10 feet away from his car. @_@

I hate that thing, i replace it with a hex plug so i can just use a socket. Make sure you put anti-sieze or oil the threads.

1. If you don't have a welder, drill a hole through it and use a screwdriver or something else to turn it.

2. heat the hell out of it and pound on a socket or wrench

3. Play dumb and bring it to Valvoline and have them do it. "I didn't know it was stripped, but as it happens i have a brand new hex plug right here" =) This is what i do when I don't feel like messing with it.