HybridZ

Ring and pinion question

I did a search but could not find the answer so I hope I just did not miss it. I have an 80 manual and was wondering a couple of things about the rear end that are not talked about in the diff faq.

1. What is the rear end gear ratio in the N/A? Maybe nobody knows for sure. :hs:

2. Will the ring and pinion gears from a 96 240sx fit since it's a r200 diff in the first place?

Now the back story, I have a 90 240sx and my 80 ZX, I would LOVE the acceleration of the 4.08 rear assuming it is like a 3 and change rear like everything else in the late 70's early 80's (gotta love the 273's in my 80 Camaro that I used to have :mrgreen:)

Well, a member of my car Club is selling his diff out of said 96 240sx with a phantom grip. Since the whole thing won't fit I was hoping I could just swap the gears and have it be cool.

Also, my speedo is gone as it is (it just bounces around like crazy) and I have a cool GPS HUD one anyway so thats not a problem, just the fit of it in the diff is all I'm worried about.

I think this is my first post so I appreciate the fact that there is so much info here that most of the time except for socializing a newb like myself does not have to ask questions very often , thanks!

There are stampings on the ring gear which you can use to determine the raatio. Sure you have r200. lots of that year have r180. measue horizontal across the diffy. r180 is six plus inches and the r200 is 8 plus. hard to tell unless they are sitting together or you have mucho experience. parts should fit if both are r200

An R200 short nose gear will not fit in an R200 long nose... The long nose is like 6" longer. How is the pinion going to measure up?

Both these questions have been asked before. I would search. Might want to try the stickies in the drivetrain forum... one of them contains the ratio information, the other probably the gear swap info.

I did not see that sticky in the drive train section, I just did several searches via the search engine on the site, thank you. I was hoping the shafts were the same on the gear and the shaft on the yoke was simply longer. I need to find a better gear ratio, oh well, back to thew drawing board.

Guest GaryZ
Just in case someone finds this via the search Courtesy Nissan has a 4.11 ring and pinion listed too. Too much for my blood at the moment but I may change my mind if I can't find one lol.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38100-P6600&Category_Code=

I doubt if they actually have these anymore. While they still list the 3.70, they eventually inform you they are permanently out of stock.

I think that info is wrong. 79 S130 with a 4 speed manual? What country did they sell that one in? My 80ZX 2 seater had a R200 3.90. I thought ALL manuals had R200s and the automatics (except turbos) had R180s.

This Information Is Directly from the Factory Service manuals. The 4 speed was only available in 79.

I am also scanning the FSM's and will be hosting them on my site for Download.

And I guess you need to Let Nissan Know the Parts Fiche is also wrong. :cuss:

http://www.xenons130.com/3I01.html

Just because You have never Seen one Don't Mean it don't Exist.

Hence the Reason I am Making My site with the Most Detailed Information from Factory Sources.

You seem to be upset with me, and there really is no need. I'm not challenging you personally, only the information in the FSM and the fiche. You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with the collective knowledge of the site. Hopefully some others will back me up here, but I do believe that the info you are relying on is plain old wrong.

Like I stated Above, If My Information Comes from the following Sources: FSM, FICHE, and the 79 Owners Manual. Not from another Person or Message forum or site. Directly From NISSAN.

Unless I see Proof of this being incorrect I would Believe Nissan over what Anyone would say.

I will also try to get Pictures Of one of these Transmissions when I Visit Roger at the Z Barn in July.

Whether it was actually offered or not I'm not sure, but I believe the 280ZX book I have from 1978 or so. The one that Nissan gave out, mentions a 5-Speed, a 4-speed, and a 3-speed auto. If there was ever a 4-speed put on the 280ZX it probably was the very base model, and was probably extremely limited. What's the point of offering a 4-speed when you already have a 5-speed that people would probably want over the 4.

Whether it was actually offered or not I'm not sure, but I believe the 280ZX book I have from 1978 or so. The one that Nissan gave out, mentions a 5-Speed, a 4-speed, and a 3-speed auto. If there was ever a 4-speed put on the 280ZX it probably was the very base model, and was probably extremely limited. What's the point of offering a 4-speed when you already have a 5-speed that people would probably want over the 4.

Thank you. I do not doubt this at all.

The fact is that is is documented that it was offered and Every document I have seen about the S130 Mentions it for 79.