HybridZ

300zx cv axel in a 72 240z

motorsci

I am installing a set of 300zx axels in a '72 240z. The passenger's side went in with no problem. The driver's side is too tight. It is about a half in too long. I tried flipping the cage over, but it looked like it had already been done. Has anyone has this problem before running stock control arms?

I have ban able to force the suspension in place with a ratchet strap

but I still have no side to sdie movement with the suspension loaded

I am concerned that this condition will damage the diff

Yes it probably will.

Does it just look like the CV's are flipped or ARE the CV's flipped? This obviously matters... Are you sure you have the drivers side CV on the drivers side of the diff and visa versa?

this topic is a concern for several of us. Do a search on "300zxt." Nobody has really found a solution other than custom CV's. The problem seems to be with 240s. Be careful about putting to much pressure on the pumkin part of the gear box. It may go into place, but the pressure has seemed to cause at least a failure of at least one diff.

I axels are in the correct location and the cv cage has ben filped. There are only 2 options that I can come up with frist is to install ajustable controll arms. Second is to have the axel shorted. Becuse the scope of this build is

to keep the stock controll arms I will persue shorting the axel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ,I have a '71 240z and I swaped the r180 for the R200 out of an '86 300zx turbo and bought the cv adapters and the stub axles from MMS and I run into the same problem , the axles are too long , I already fliped the cages on the axles and still too long abouth 1" in both sides ,I called many different places that are dedicated to deal with axles and no luck with this , I compressed the suspension and still too long , I have installed te adjustable control arms and still they are too long , so I am going to get a set made , hopefully this will be the end of the build.

Hi there ,I have a '71 240z and I swaped the r180 for the R200 out of an '86 300zx turbo and bought the cv adapters and the stub axles from MMS and I run into the same problem , the axles are too long , I already fliped the cages on the axles and still too long abouth 1" in both sides ,I called many different places that are dedicated to deal with axles and no luck with this , I compressed the suspension and still too long , I have installed te adjustable control arms and still they are too long , so I am going to get a set made , hopefully this will be the end of the build.

Are these remanufactured axles or ones you pulled yourself from a parts car?

Something screwy must be going on because I know of several people, including myself who have successfully installed 300ZX Turbo axles into 240Z's. This is without shortening the shafts, other than grinding a bit off the end for extra clearance, or any other modifications, other than flipping the cages. It's a tight fit at full droop, but they go in with enough room to spare.

If you're an inch out, then either you've got the wrong shafts, or the stub axle adapters are too long.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I did pulled the axles from a donor car an '86 300zx turbo , i was able to bolt on the left side (drivers side) onto the MMS flange but when i compress the strut all the way is hard to turn the wheel and i have no play in the axle none at all , I shoul have some ,at least 1/4" or so and the other side yes i measured and i am about 3/4" past the axle flange , I was going to use the left on the right side changing the end that goes in the diff to keep them as left and right at the diff and since the left is shorter than the right side and grinding the end it might work on the right side and knowing this ,just get another right side, flip the cage , grind the end and see if it works ,what do you think?.

I BELIEVE the issue stems from people sourcing axles that are reman. and not actually Z31T units.

Not true here in NZ we got Z31T units and found the same issues but this was on early cars and very low race cars.

I think part of the problem does lie with after market LSD's. I run a power brute LSD. I'll try and get a picture tonight of the distance between the driver side CV and pumkin. I'm guessing it sticks out about 3/8 of an inch.

...I have the quafe diff? would this maybe why I have this problem.

Just a note here. I do not know what manufacturer made my helical LSD (Quaife, Gleason Torsen, etc), but I DO know that when I put my axles into it, I found I was required to swap the driver side and passenger side SPLINED stub from one axle shaft to the other. In other words, the differential carrier itself was reversed from the normal R200. Consequently, I had to use the short stub with the longer shaft and visa versa in order to make it work from the previous single track R200 that was previously in it.

I thought I was looking at it wrong, but then I started looking at my spare R200, the shop manual, and other shafts, and sure enough, this LSD was an oddball. That's when I dismantled the untouched CV shafts (280ZX turbo), swapped the inside CV stubs, and re-installed them. Then everything was good to go.