HybridZ

Question about Water injection before the Turbo

Noddle

Hi,

I have a question,

Is it possible to add water as a mist before the Turbo, or does it need to be injected after the turbo ?

the reason I ask, is that 20 odd years ago, my brother brough a little water injection kit for his N/A car, the kit included a small copper pipe which was fitted to the carburettor above the butterfly (had to drill a hole in the body), this connected via a pipe to a little valve (like a fish tank air valve), this connected to a bottle of wate, (stored below the carbrator), the way it worked was a venturing effect was applied to the copper pipe in the carb, that sucked the water up the pipe through the valve (to control the amount of water), and into the carb , the more the throttle opened the more water was ingested.

Would this work ?

Nigel

Depending on the size of the I/C, as long as your keeping the discharge of the I/C above 120F, you can spray quite a bit into the inlet and not worry about precipitation post-cooler.

But with the injection, the I/C usually becomes redundant as the latent heat from the vaporisation of the anti-detonant performs a similar fucntion as cooling the airflow with mechanical/physical means.

The reason I asked this question,

Is that I'm planning to put a turbo on my N/A L24 (I will need to check the head ID), it has dished pistons, but I don't know the compression ration,

so with my lack of experience with turbo s, I would think that this would help with detonation (will be running low boost, less than 10 psi),

and using a "venturing effect" to introduce water into the intake, no pump would be required,

also at this time I will not be using a intercooler

Nigel