HybridZ

Chevrolet Unveils New Midget Racing Engine

inferno

Thought some of you might it interesting to read about this. It is always cool to read about new developments:

==============================================

Chevrolet Unveils New Midget Racing Engine

Written by: SPEED Staff SPEEDtv.com 05/07/2008 - 12:45 PM Indianapolis, Ind.

839763_article_img_large1.jpg

The Chevy Midget racing engine's all-new design features an exhaust-side camshaft that allows for optimal airflow and repositioning of spark plugs and fuel injector nozzles.

Chevrolet's all-new Midget racing engine was unveiled today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway by GM representatives and United States Auto Club (USAC) team owner Tony Stewart. Designed by GM Racing specifically for the USAC National Midget Car Series, the new purpose-built, four-cylinder Chevrolet racing engine will initially power Tony Stewart Racing (TSR) drivers Tracy Hines and Levi Jones in upcoming events. The new Chevy Midget engine will be available to all USAC competitors through independent engine builders.

One year ago, Chevrolet announced its sponsorship of Tony Stewart Racing in open-wheel competition," said Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper. "Now Chevrolet has taken the next step by creating an all-new racing engine for this popular grassroots racing series. Chevrolet races to win, and America's brand is aiming for more victories in this uniquely American form of motorsports."

The new methanol-burning 166ci (2.7-liter) Chevy Midget racing engine produces more than 350 horsepower. The lightweight, inline four-cylinder engine employs an aluminum block and cylinder head with two valves per cylinder. Per USAC rules, the Chevy Midget engine is equipped with mechanical fuel injection and utilizes an electronic ignition system.

source: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/chevrolet-unveils-350-hp-2-7l-ohv-i-4-midget-racing-engine-64157/

That looks to be a spinoff of the once popular SESCO engine developed back in the 60's, which is the v8 sbc chopped in half lengthwise. Using standard sbc cylinder heads and components was and is still competitive in the midget races. My cousin Chad Ward drives for Canaday brothers out of KC, MO and used to drive those midget cars early in his career. Truly amazing.

Nice to see chevrolet developing one that looks to be based on the LS series head.

That looks to be a spinoff of the once popular SESCO engine developed back in the 60's, which is the v8 sbc chopped in half lengthwise. Using standard sbc cylinder heads and components was and is still competitive in the midget races. My cousin Chad Ward drives for Canaday brothers out of KC, MO and used to drive those midget cars early in his career. Truly amazing.

Nice to see chevrolet developing one that looks to be based on the LS series head.

we have 3 complete and probably enough parts to build another 4 or 5 (we have 5 spare blocks) SESCO's. my grandfather used to race midgets and sprints way back when.

There's a Mini Cooper somewhere just waiting for that :flamedevi

YES YES YES YES!!! When I do locate an old mini, ( almost bought one from london.. 4k in shipping killed that sale, lol )this will be my new hunt-for-engine!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...