HybridZ

Alternator not kicking in!?

I have searched and tried again and again to fix this problem myself with no luck, so i passed it on to an auto electrician and $300 bucks three batteries and hours of my labor got me nowhere!

-Here's the problem

My battery is constantly going dead!

Jump starting my car has become an everyday ordeal with my car.

-Work done

New battery and battery cables

New voltage regulator

New starter

Tested alternator and it's ok but put new one in and it didn't change anything

Tried to put in a acc relay from another car

Mechanic said the problem was some wires behind the fuse pannel, solved the problem for a few weeks

ALL HAS FAILED :icon11:

I let the engine idle and took the positive cable off the battery and THEN the alternator kicks in!

I am out of patience ANY input would help!

Thanks in advance

Your car is a 74 260Z correct? With all the stuff you already replaced, I'd suggest taking a really good look at the wiring harness. These cars didn't have a great harness way back when and thirty years hasn't helped. Look for burned or frayed sections in the harness. Look at the harness in the engine compartment that hooks to the alternator. Look for signs that it has been tampered with or wasn't secure and got against the engine or touched something. Check all your grounds. Clean the surface they attach to.

I took off the whole dash at one time and the harness and connections look fine so i put it back together. The ONLY thing i can think of is my oil pump gasket went bad and my fan sprayed oil on the alternator side of my engine, maybe causing bad connections or wire? But i'f i had a bad wire or connection the alternator wouldn't kick in when i disconect the + side of the battery at idle.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of not puting in my radio fuse because i took it out of the car, found out it needed to be in for the ACC relay to function. I don't know how but i also found my flashers to be pulling alot of juice from the battery when not on, i found the relays and disconnected them untill i find good ones. Tested the car running and the alternator kicked in giving me 14v at idle. whew!

• 3 months later...