HybridZ

New idea for a turbocharged intake design?

Just a random thought that occurred to me, but has anyone ever mirrored (almost) a 6 into 1 exhaust setup, but for the intake side of the engine? It seems like I read alot about one or two of the cylinders with almost any intake (specifically the #1 cylinder), not getting enough air. But if the intake was split into six equally sized tubes right after the throttle, wouldn't that solve this issue? Has this even been tried before?

Or is thinking and posting after being up for 18 hours on 2 hours of sleep a bad idea?

Actually if you go into the Fuel Delivery sub forum, and go to the Turbo Intake Plenum page, they have designed and built a plenum that in theory, should provide almost PERFECT distribution to all 6 cylinders.

you should take the time to read the entire thread. there's a LOT of research that went into the final design that was built.

• Administrators
Just a random thought that occurred to me, but has anyone ever mirrored (almost) a 6 into 1 exhaust setup, but for the intake side of the engine?

You might find this useful...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116029

It seems like I read alot about one or two of the cylinders with almost any intake (specifically the #1 cylinder), not getting enough air.

Where have you read that?

Actually if you go into the Fuel Delivery sub forum, and go to the Turbo Intake Plenum page, they have designed and built a plenum that in theory, should provide almost PERFECT distribution to all 6 cylinders.

you should take the time to read the entire thread. there's a LOT of research that went into the final design that was built.

I read that thread, but the problem is that some of us do not have NEARLY the amount of money needed to build that kind of plenum, even IF the CNC file was released.

Hell, if I could get one of those plenums, I wouldn't even have bothered thinking about this.

You might find this useful...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116029

Where have you read that?

Thanks for the link. Seems the biggest reason then is cost and dimensional considerations. I don't know where I read it, and it might not have been #1, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere on this site that one of the cylinders tended to have problems with sufficient airflow. *shrugs*

I read that thread, but the problem is that some of us do not have NEARLY the amount of money needed to build that kind of plenum, even IF the CNC file was released.

Hell, if I could get one of those plenums, I wouldn't even have bothered thinking about this.

Go back to that post and look at the HSK box. It does have decient flow patern and swirl and is construted from square tube stock. That is what made that entire post so good, there was a lot of other info in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere on here there is a picture of a quad turbo V8 and it has a tubular intake manifold... then again it probably makes a couple thousand horsepower.....lol

I have thought about that very idea but I think it wouldn't be worth the weight over some of the other options.

m4xwellmurd3r,

I would not say it is a PERFECT plenum. I think it is an incredible compromise of balancing space vs. performance when one is staying within the space restraints of a stock Z body.

It would flow enough for any street car and even most race cars.

If you ever take a look at some late model Toyota Four-Cylinder intake manifolds, you will see exactly what you speak of: What looks like an Aluminum Header on the intakeb ports, with a Throttle Body in the formed 'merge collector' section of the assembly! Long runners, torquey torquey torquey...and all that volume is used, same as something with a bigger plenum.

Like Monzter says: There's very little that hasn't been thought up already, it's just a matter of finding it and then reapplying it in another realm.

I applied "Lizard Skin" insulating compound (for floorboards in hotrods, originally) to Centrifugal Compressor Torus Sections to keep personnel from rubbing against them and burning themselves...sales guy never thought of 'that' application before. Hell, it sure beats wrapping rockwool in chickenwire around them...ugh! Messy messy messy! Paint it on with a roller, and no muss no fuss.

Almost anything is applicable to more than one application, it just takes an open mind.