HybridZ

Woot! Now my 240 has been improved. v.trannyswap

Six_Shooter

I finished converting my 240 from auto to manual this weekend. I had most of it done on Saturday, then wanted to do a few other things that took a little more time, among family obligations, I put it back on the ground today and took it for a drive. :D

So far, I'm liking it. Unfortunatly it's just a 4 speed, but am looking for a 5 speed to replace this one with.

I have a Center Force Dual Friction, that so far I'm really impressed with, especially after hearing of so many people having problems with them. I'll put it to the test once I add the turbo and EFI, in a few weeks. ;)

I am actually impressed with the L28 that's in my car now, since I can now make my tires scream for traction going into 3rd.

There were a few things that are not covered in any search result I had looked at previous to starting this swap.

The bellhousing bolts are longer for the manual tranny ('77 4-speed). I used M10x1.5x60.

The shifter opening needs to be cut out to clear the manual shifter.

The wiring is not as it is shown in the Haynes Repair Manual, for the starter circuit. The Haynes manual shows the starter wire going directly from the ignition switch to the "inhibit switch" then to the starter.

In my car the starter wire goes to a relay on the firewall next to the battery. Took me a bit to discover this, and ended up looping the black/yellow wires that did go to the inhibit switch together. This is an ignition wire, and enables the starter inhibit relay to close and allow the starter signal to pass through.

The reverse lights required changing the connectors on the harness. These are "bullet connectors" and on both the harness and the manual tranny reverse light switch were males. I opted to change the harness connections, to female bullet connectors. A small jumper harness with female bullet connectors could be made, but that's too many connections for me, and NEVER plan to go back to auto.

Some pictures:

Not enough pedals:

Not%20enough%20pedals.JPG

Ahh, that's better:

Correct%20pedals.JPG

Auto%20shifter.JPG

manual%20shifter.JPG

I believe the OEM clutch tube would run in this location, it looked like a good route. I just used a piece of 3/16" brake line and put metric double flare nuts on it, bent into shape and installed.

clutch%20tube%20pass.JPG

CFDF:

CFDF%20installed.JPG

Did this in my driveway, since my truck is still in the garage, going to be putting a garage door on the back of the garage so that I can put it out back. :)

jack%20stands%20no%20plate%20small.JPG

The automatic shifter hole:

Auto%20shifter%20hole%20small.JPG

After being cut out:

manual%20shifter%20hole%20small.JPG

I now have a manual Z, just like I wanted. :mrgreen:

More pics: http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/My%20vehicles/Datsun/Tranny%20swap/

Nice work!

I did a 5-speed swap many years ago in my 280z..

The one thing I remember being the biggest pain in the butt was the PEDAL install. OMG that was a pain

Why was that? Swap the pedal box too?

I just swapped the pedals and had it done in about 15 minutes. :)

It's been a lot of fun driving it around, I'm going to pour some Synchromesh in there today, I think it is low on fluid and once I realized that everything was closed for the long weekend.

I liked driving my Z before, now I love it!. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words.

Well I put the synchromesh in tonight, but haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet, the GF's car was parked behind mine, and didn't feel like moving it.

There should be an improvement in the whine/howl I was getting, since I got next to no oil out of the tranny.

Looks good Chris! I see you're not wasting any time getting that Z into true sportscar form, and now it won't be long until we can get all our Z's together for a bit of a cruise!

Yep, we'll need to do that ay some point. Maybe cruise to an OZC meet together. :) Zed fest is coming up too, that I might go to.

I'll give you guys a call tonight, and hopefully cruise out to check out your progress. :)

I did not swap the pedal box, but I did swap the pedal and the pedal only.

I don't know if it's because I have a 280z or what, but getting the bolt from the far drivers fender, into the pedal box, through the pedal and then tighten the bolt down took me hours and hours.

I did not swap the pedal box, but I did swap the pedal and the pedal only.

I don't know if it's because I have a 280z or what, but getting the bolt from the far drivers fender, into the pedal box, through the pedal and then tighten the bolt down took me hours and hours.

Odd.

That one was a bit tricky, since I have a vent that dumps right there, luckily it was soft plastic and was able to force it out of the way to put that bolt in.

nice work man!

it just reminds me how i hate my auto....my first 280z (now my parts car) was a 5-speed and i ditched that because of the rust and now i am stuck with the auto until i have the time for the swap.

winter time...

Man, I definatly couldn't wait that long. I've had my car in my possesion for 3 months and I've already changed it. :mrgreen:

Next up is turbo and EFI, and I'm working on getting the parts together and ready to install. I hope to have it on in less than a month.