HybridZ

lexus is300 rear end

jonus079

so after alot of thinking and research i had my list narrowed down to two rear ends: lexus is300 and lexus sc400/300. well today i went ahead and pulled the complete rear end out of a 2004 lexus is300. in the end i choose it because the sc300 was so much wider (about 6 inches). ive also seen people put huge numbers down through the is300 rear end with supra engines. i mached it up and it looks pretty damn good. there is about an inch from the hub to the outside of the rear fender so it looks like ill be running small flares. i dont mind this but i really want to use the smallest flares possible. tomorrow i plan on putting the cars back on the rotisserie to get a better idea of how it will come together. just thought i would share some pictures.

2519151591_c8376e9cbc_o.jpg

2519151577_3107d564ca_o.jpg

2519151585_9089ba4ebe_o.jpg

2519151581_1e63c4f1a9_o.jpg

i dont know much about the 300zx rear but its my understanding that its not modular, that is the control arm connect into the body. the only 240sx rear ends i could find had 4 lugs which i wanted to get away from. not only that but i was never really impressed by the geometry of that set up. it just doesn't look like the best design to me when compared to is300 rear end. the only reason why i was even considering the sc300/400 rear end is because i'm using the front end. ive seen people put alot of power through the is300 rear end and it appears to be very sturdy.

anyway i did alittle cutting and got it roughed in today. it looks pretty good. unfortunately my tig welder is out of argon and i cant get anymore until Tuesday so i guess it will just sit there until then. i really wish i had a wheel to test fit.

2522187024_e2f45e79d2.jpg

2522186998_2afc0b03fd.jpg

2522187022_5e5679d10a.jpg

2522187004_787f2c4d6d.jpg

2522187016_5edb77913f.jpg

• Administrators

This looks like a fun project that will have lots of WOW factor. Looking forward to seeing this project come to fruition.

i dont know much about the 300zx rear but its my understanding that its not modular, that is the control arm connect into the body. the only 240sx rear ends i could find had 4 lugs which i wanted to get away from. not only that but i was never really impressed by the geometry of that set up. it just doesn't look like the best design to me when compared to is300 rear end….

I realize this info is pointless here, though just wanted to share for clarification purposes. Regarding the multilink rear suspension from the 240-SX, Z-32, J-30 and Q-45, they are very much alike and differ mostly in subtle differences in track width, calipers, rotors, etc, otherwise they are essentially the same multilink rear suspension. They do all come in 5 bolt wheel pattern, except the early 240-SX which is 4 bolt.

Not sure what you mean by the Z stuff “not being modular”, but ALL of the control arms do attach to a cradle like the Lexus set up and that cradle attaches to the car at four points like the Lexus set up. In looking over the Lexus pics, even without plotting out the dynamic geometry of that suspension, I would agree that from a performance standpoint, the Lexus set up looks to be an improvement over the Nissan rear multi-link. :2thumbs:

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

004.gif

Due to how the Nissan rear suspension operates with the geometry changes it undergoes during different braking, acceleration, cornering loads etc, that rear suspension is not really a world class corner carving set up. It works fine if it doesn’t move, i.e. overly to stiff and the road/track is perfectly smooth, but so does a welded/locked/unmovable suspension in that scenario. :icon56: Outside of those conditions, my opinion is that even semi trailing arm would be an upgrade over the Nissan Multilink for a truly performance oriented sports car. This Lexus set up looks like it behaves like a double A-arm set up and should compliment your Lexus front suspension, not only in name sake, but in performance as well.

RearfeelCustom.jpg

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the positive feedback! unfortunately this rear end doesn't have an lsd diff but at $260 for the entire setup, i can hardly complain. It looks like there are a few after market company's that make lsd's for around $700-$1200. I dont know much about the front suspension on the is300. The one i pulled the rear out of had the front pretty much cut off from an accident so i couldn't really get a good look at it.

BRAAP:

I didn't realize the 300zx also had a cradle. I never really looked into it.

I'm glad to hear someone agrees with me about the rear end especially with all the diagrams, observations, and facts you illustrated. Up until now it was pretty much theories in my head.

I'm hoping to get a lot more work done Tuesday and Wednesday. I will post more pictures with the car flipped over so you can better see how im connecting it to the unibody.

What ratios were available? Any tall ratios such as 3.15 or any 2.xx:1 ratios?

Unfortunately, I believe the automatic IS300 has a 4.09 rear ratio (atleast mine does) ... The manual version is slightly taller maybe a 3.90...

Outside of those conditions, my opinion is that even semi trailing arm would be an upgrade over the Nissan Multilink for a truly performance oriented sports car. This Lexus set up looks like it behaves like a double A-arm set up and should compliment your Lexus front suspension, not only in name sake, but in performance as well.

RearfeelCustom.jpg

I'm sorry for the sideways hijack but I have to say I don't agree with the above statement. I've had the opportunity to drive a 240SX all last year with slicks and R-compound radials and I found the car to work extremely well. It was better balanced than any Z I've driven. The car was very easy for many to drive and ended up being used as a spare over the year by a lot of people.

Back to thread. The Lexus stuff looks cool. I'm really liking the front stuff from these cars too.

Cary

• Administrators
I'm sorry for the sideways hijack but I have to say I don't agree with the above statement. I've had the opportunity to drive a 240SX all last year with slicks and R-compound radials and I found the car to work extremely well. It was better balanced than any Z I've driven. The car was very easy for many to drive and ended up being used as a spare over the year by a lot of people.

Back to thread. The Lexus stuff looks cool. I'm really liking the front stuff from these cars too.

Cary

Cary,

Coming from you, I don't doubt it for a second. Thank you for the heads up.My only experince is from the multi-link cars I own and have owned, all of which had/have the stock rubber bushings, current car also has Illumina struts, Kumho 711 tires. I've also taken the lack of multilink suspended Nissans in the Solo nats results as an indicator as well.

Sorry for the thread jack. Cary I'll PM you as I am very interested in carrying on this conversation.

• 3 months later...

funny you ask because after not so much as going in my garage for the past three months, just 4 days ago i started working on it again. here some pictures i took today. now that summer is over ill be doing alot more work on the car in the coming months. ill keep you guys posted.

here are the rear supports

2892633521_601fba70f1.jpg

firmly welded to the cars frame

2892633909_a1fe7cb4f9.jpg

2893472412_617ea1a7d9.jpg

and the overall cradle mounted to the car

2892634091_5d22409903.jpg

im hoping to finish up the welding the rear before the end of the week. i have alot of work still to do to the front. id like to have the car right side up in another couple weeks so i can start the body work.

-Marcus