HybridZ

Alternator squeak=14.7 volts, no sqeauk=12 volts

streeteg

RB25 stock turbo, bolt ons...

Driving around today my alternator belt/pully/alternator itself started to squeak--- and when it did so the voltage would drop to approximately 12.5 volts. It would squeal for a little bit then go away... and when i went away it the voltmeter would read 14.7....

then it went away today for good... only to have the voltmeter read 12 volts the entire way home...

blown alternator?

loose belt?

just want to avoid a stranded vehicle sometime down the road...

TIA

-Eric

Your alternator may be dead. Volts while running with lights on should be around 13.8 - 14.2 volts. Anything more or less means a dud regulator. Was it squealing when the volts were 14.7 or 12? usually when the alternator dies temporarily, the car runs off the battery, then if it starts charging again squeals because it puts a big load on your engine which makes the belt slip a bit. Then as the battery charges again, the squealing stops. I would quickly get the alternator checked before your battery goes flat and the car just stops dead! Was the battery light on?

I had a simaler problem when my fans would kick on. It turned out to be a belt alignment/tension problem. I installed a nissan quest alternator and that helped alot.

On an RB25? thats good news!

Edit: I got a GM 10si (or was it 12?) that I'll be using anyway, but it's good to know. does it bolt right on?

Not looking toot my own horn here, but I am pretty sure I was one of the first ones to do this swap.

Its not exactly bolt-on but close enough for any average car geek to get up and running. I would love to give details, but I did it so long ago I have forgotten most of em!

Wiring is plug and play.

Evan

http://forums.racebread.com/index.php?topic=923.0 is the original thread I made when I figured this situation out. If you build your own upper mount, make sure its super rigid else the alternator will twist under high load.

ya it would squeal pretty heavily while at 13.7-14.2 then stop when it made it about 14.5. Then mid way through the drive it stop squeaking all together and i noticed it @ 12 volts and dropping.

As for the battery light I dont have a stock dash so I do not have that luxury....ill probably pull the alternator. Is there a stock replacement from a domestic Nissan (USA) or am i gonna have to jimmy rig somethin?

Thanks again!

Eric