HybridZ

I didnt expect this.....should I do it?

Ok, Ive been thinking about selling my Z due to the fact of the horrible engine work that I paid for and got ripped off on. Well, the bottom end is going out on the motor.

Tonight, when I was leaving work some random guy walked up to me and started talking to me about my Z. He told me that he has a 83 280zx 2+2 that was smashed in the rear by a falling tree. He doesnt want to put anymore money into it and wants to see it go to someone who will put the parts to good use. I haven't seen his Z, but he says that he has a rebuilt port/polished and boared out with larger pistons with 20,000 miles on the motor. He also has a extra block with 800 dollars of machine work that he would give with the deal.

My Z is a 83 280zx coupe, the other plus to this is. Mine has a digital cluster and so does his. So everything except the body is a match! I have not seen the car yet, I will see it sometime this week. He said he will start the motor and everything for me and will take payments.

I think the Z gods are answering prayers today. What do you think?

Well, I havent even seen it yet, so I dont know what he has on the engine to back up what he is saying. Im sure he would go lower. But, he is willing to take payments. I have no need for the body, except for a couple lil things, but mostly need the motor. I dont know if the tranny is auto or manual. If its a 2+2 and a manual, the clutch is bigger. Mine is a 2 seater, than the clutch is smaller? If his is a auto and I wanna keep my tranny which is manual, it wont affect the mounting of the engine to my tranny. If none of that made since, if I take the motor out of a 2+2 and put a 2seater tranny on it, it will mount right up?

$1500 sounds like a bit much, unless he either has recipts, or you can take the car for a drive and see how hard the engine pulls. With that much work done it shuold be able to smoke the tires pretty good.

But yea, the 2+2 had a larger clutch/flywheel which might be desirable. If it's auto, just swap the engine. If it's manual swap both engine and tranny. Everything should be directly plug and play. Look for modifications he has that might require work on your part. Deleted EGR or other smog devices for example.