HybridZ

rear diff disaster

Guest kevbob75

Guest kevbob75

i have been runnin a welded rear end for quite some time and never had any problems with any car i have ever had it on.

i changed the fluid but i put the wrong weight gear oil in

not realizing what i did i drove it for a cool 5 minites and then the rear started making a really bad grinding noise.

i parked it for a while and came back a few days later and limped it to the shop

almost all the oil was gone and some pretty big metal chunks were in it

i am forced to buy a new diff now but i am wondering what caused all this in the first place as this would not happen again to anyone

and any recomendations on a new diff to buy and control arms while i'm at it

Guest kevbob75

1975 280z w/stock rear

i have been runnin a welded rear end for quite some time and never had any problems with any car i have ever had it on.

i changed the fluid but i put the wrong weight gear oil in

not realizing what i did i drove it for a cool 5 minites and then the rear started making a really bad grinding noise.

i parked it for a while and came back a few days later and limped it to the shop

almost all the oil was gone and some pretty big metal chunks were in it

i am forced to buy a new diff now but i am wondering what caused all this in the first place as this would not happen again to anyone

and any recomendations on a new diff to buy and control arms while i'm at it

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

sorry bout that i'm a rookie

75 280z

stock rear

i put 70 wieght but i think it takes 90 yes?

Was it an automatic or a manual car? The automatics had the weaker R180, manuals have the stronger R200 if I remember correctly.

I believe 80w-90 to be the specification if I remember correctly. Could the metal chunks be welds from the spider gears breaking off? 70 weighs doesn't seem THAT light.

Guest kevbob75

any recomendations on another aftermarket diff to buy or should i go with a junkyard R200

and where can i find some nice control arms (tubular maybe)

Arizonazcar.com

Modern-motorsports.com

Zraceproducts.com

All offer control arms, the second two are tubular steel. The first is billet 6061.

I would just go for a junkyard R200 if I were you (provided your car already has an R200, if it has an R180 it will require additional componentry to swap), or put a wanted ad out. If you want to go LSD now is probably the time also.

Alternatively you could find out what went wrong in the differential. It may be cheaper/better to start with fresh bearings and such.