HybridZ

Cutting off EGR Valve instead of Blocking Off

Challenger

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

Anyone cut the egr valve like so off of a 280zx turbo manifold? Im in the process of shaving my manifold and wont be using the egr. I dont mind the rail on the bottom, but dont like the look of the blocked off valve. I remember seeing someone removing the egr system completely but cant find the thread.

Im also limited on tools. Ive got a grinder with cut off wheels and a radial metal chop saw... and a wood band saw, maybe try to get a metal blade?

Thanks

Hi,

It's off a MR30 Skyline (1985),

I though you were interested in the process of how to do it,

since they are not the same (?) the process of removing the material should be similar.

or you could cut the end off, and have it welded up.

Nigel

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Primary question was how to remove the egr valve as shown in the picture.

I understand youd cut it off and weld it closed.... just dont know how I should do it. I was hoping to get some pictures or instructions from people that had done it before.

Challenger,

When I did mine I cut it off just as you show in red. I didn't weld anything shut. I removed the 6 plugs along the EGR passage then through the opening tapped and installed pipe plugs in the small holes in the intake runners. As far as cutting, its aluminum, a new blade in a hack saw will do just fine - use a sawsall if your really lazy.

good luck with it.

IMG_1242.JPG

Ended up using my chop saw. I didnt consider using it because I wasnt sure If I could get it at the right angle, etc. but it ended up working. Im just going to weld up the end and smooth it out.

I also got a kind of cool idea.. If someone wanted to run nitrous they could put a valve on the opening pictured and run the nitrous through the small holes in the runners.. youd have to have some kind of standalone system to be able to add fuel once its turned on but it would be sleek.

• Administrators
Looks nice, also what year is that manifold off of?

I built that manifold roughly 13 years ago, so I'm afraid I don't recall the specific year. However, its just an NA 280zx manifold with a few hours of massage work. I realize you are asking about turbo manifolds, but the EGR mod. will be essentially the same regardless of aspiration.

Hey Derek, my 82n/a and 83n/a have the neck down manifolds.

My 83et dose not (junkyard engine). Also you may note the other compondants that is on your et that is not on the n/a.

Personally I am still working on a way to scrap the old one. In the end mabey I will not, depends on what I learn as I go.

Nice job on that cut!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90619&highlight=p82+n42

I built that manifold roughly 13 years ago, so I'm afraid I don't recall the specific year. However, its just an NA 280zx manifold with a few hours of massage work. I realize you are asking about turbo manifolds, but the EGR mod. will be essentially the same regardless of aspiration.

Yeah I figured it would be the same but I really like the look of the necked down manifold and never knew what year they came off of.

Maybe the next one...

• 4 weeks later...

Just finishing up a customers intake manifold.... Cut it off and blocked it.

IMG_1428.JPG

I also got one of the p91's from the junkyard but had an unfortunate accident with one of the linkage towers and busted off a chunk of the runner where it attaches. :( Ill have to find someone to weld it back on for somewhat cheap. (tig welding is expensive!!)

what are you charging someone for one of thse cleaned up manifolds?? We have a whole PILE of EFI manifolds that I could easily do this to rather than sending them off for 40 cents a pound (IF we get all other metal out of it first..)

I gutted out an 83 turbo intake manifold and here are a few pictures:

Turbointake-2Large.jpg

Turbointake-3Large.jpg

I never cut off the top EGR stuff I just plugged them. I also used 6 1/8 aluminum plugs to close all the egr ports in the bottom of the intake runners.

HB280ZT