HybridZ

Sound like LSD isn't worth it!!

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest KraZ4spd

If 3.70 is the only gearing you can get in an LSD, why bother? I mean wouldn't a 3.54 r200 be just as good? Wouldn't the 3.70 cause a lot of tire spinning when your trying to get out of the hole? Or does the LSD really provide that much more? I'm ripping my hair out here!! Somebody please clarify this for me. icon_confused.gif

For drag racing, I dunno. I've got some pretty good footage of my 3.1 smoking both rears way back when I had an open 3.36 diff. For road racing it's a MUST, though. After the 3.1 build and 5-speed install, I'd planned all kinds of mods before the LSD install, but one trip to the track convinced me that LSD would give me my best lap time improvement and fun factor per $$ spent.

If it's not a street car, you could have the 3.54 welded up (by someone who races Zs and has done it before, of course)

KraZ4spd,

if you or anyone else decide to go welded 3.54 for drag racing, I just pulled mine out. That is the one I have been running and will be dropping in a 3.36 to experiment, then on to something strong enough for me to run more power and slicks.

If anyone are interested, you can have it cheap if you are willing to pay shipping AND you understand caveats of a welded diff.

quote:

Originally posted by KraZ4spd:

If 3.70 is the only gearing you can get in an LSD, why bother? I mean wouldn't a 3.54 r200 be just as good? Wouldn't the 3.70 cause a lot of tire spinning when your trying to get out of the hole? Or does the LSD really provide that much more? I'm ripping my hair out here!! Somebody please clarify this for me.
icon_confused.gif

Gears alone are not going to prevent tire spinning in 1st or 2nd. The reason a lot of us build our hp/weight ratios is to have 3rd gear feel like 1st etc. Driver control and skill HAS to come into play very shortly in this game. 3.7-3.54 is not so different but an open diff vs. an LSD diff in a cornering/corner exit scenario is vastly different (particularly in a hipo rwd setup IMO) in response. I found far greater control in my ZXV8 with the LSD as it wasn't as throttle sensitive in the corners where-as it was previously very twitchy. hard to explain from this rookie drivers viewpoint

i think the real difference is the turns,

with the open rear most of us run, you can get super stupid, but most of the time only in a left turn. and most of the time in a dry right turn, you get a one legger that explodes with rubber, in lsd, you get ultra stupid both ways, i would love to get ahold of one of those 3.70's, but i run a four speed and that would destroy what little freeway abilities i have...

t-5/6 3.70's oh mama...

Leonard

3.36er

You just have to get the correct parts and assemble them.

JohnC, your statement is accurate except that it leaves out a little detail on the assembly. It is my understanding that all LSDs and the NISMO R&P uses a 12mm bolt and the non-LSD units use a 10mm bolt. Therefore, bolting up an OEM non-LSD R&P to an LSD requires machine work. Either the LSD has to sleeved or the R&P bolt holes need to be opened up to 12mm. I personally have not confirmed this but this is the word I have gotten from 2 folks who have put 3.36 and 3.54 non-LSD R&Ps on OEM & NISMO LSDs.

Guest KraZ4spd

Opening up the holes from 10mm to 12mm, and tapping them, doesn't sound all that hard. Is it? Or is there some factor that I'm not catching?

1) Any redrilling and tapping must be done with excellent accuracy as to the bolt circle.

2) A bottom tap would be needed.

3) Paul Hansen in NZ? bought spacers to go into the 12mm carrier holes that snugly fit the 10mm bolts.

I'd go with #3 in a heartbeat.

I'm confused...?

You can run any ring and pinion combination avaialbe in an R200 with pretty much any LSD. If you want to run a 3.36 or a 4.38 R&P with a Quaiffe, Nissan Comp, or a welded up set of spiders then you can. You just have to get the correct parts and assemble them.

John is right... Having the LSD unit has nothing to do with gearing... The area LSDs realy work well in is with regards to cornering performance and handling in the curves. If you break loose 3:7 gears on an LSD equipped rear, you will break loose 3:54 gears in a non LSD equipped unit. Driver skill is KEY with ANY high torque/ high HP vehicle. The number one area we always overlook, just in front of upgrading brakes, is driver skill... The "I built it, so of course I should know how to drive it" theory just isn't so...

Mike icon_eek.gif