HybridZ

Good or stupid idea?

Im sure youve all heard of the Tornado air managment things, (the $60.00 finned aluminum thing) thats supposed to "spin" the intake charge and create more power/fuel economy (yeah its a bunch'a B.S) HOWEVER i picked one up for free from a friends honda...lol... and found that it fits perfectly behind the throttle body on my gutted plenum (the tops not on yet) and i thought about maybe welding it INSIDE the intake instead of putting it in the convoluted path it would normally take after the air filter like the instructions suggest, i know for a fact that it does in fact create a vortex ( a small one, but it does work, i used a fog machine and a small powerful fan in front of it to see if it was just a hoax).

In fact i saw in a recent chevy magazine, a engine builder made a simple divider out of aluminum and cut a dual-plane intake and welded the divider in place and gained a total of 15lbft of torque at the wheels, so i just figured now that my intakes totally gutted maybe id try something a little off the wall, anyone think it would result in a measurable gain or just defeat the effort of gutting it?

I personally would run the car as is, dyno it. Then install it and re-dyno it. If I didn't do that I would never feel good about driving the car around. I would think though that it is just a big air restrictor and if it were ever to work it would have much less blade angle.

Have you guys seen the video of the theory behind it? Take two two liter bottles fill one with water and connect them at the caps. (kind of like a hourglass) Just let it drip through and it goes through slowly, spin the bottle and then it rushes through alot quicker.

When the two bottle example is used it is misleading. The reason is that the spinning fluid allows air to leave the bottom bottle easier so it is displaced as the liquid from the top bottle drains in. In an intake there is no air needing to leave out of the "tornado" device. I wouldn't say the tornado devices are a joke but I'd need a little better example.

• 3 weeks later...

I would leave it out. I would rather you spend your time reading about the benefits of porting heads and making intake air flow in better. This is where all the action is most needed. Not just after the throttle valve. Even if you get the swirl going with this contraption, you still have the intake manifold turbulence to consider before you even get to the heads!!!

I say put it in since they woulden't make somthing like that if it diden't benefit the car in some way ie: gas millage, or perforance.

you are seriously mislead.

how then, do you explain that this tornado device, which is just a splitter, can reduce blow-by, reduce emissions, and all the other stuff it claims.

why WOULDN'T someone make something that doesn't work on every car, only to make money on all the people starving for gas mileage increase? I mean... no one wants to capitalize on people's misfortunes and necessities nowadays... that's unheard of. :icon56:

I would leave it out. I would rather you spend your time reading about the benefits of porting heads and making intake air flow in better. This is where all the action is most needed. Not just after the throttle valve. Even if you get the swirl going with this contraption, you still have the intake manifold turbulence to consider before you even get to the heads!!!

well said. :mrgreen:

Carless: I just said that it is a FACT that my hummer h2 is getting better gas mileage because of this contraption.

They say it has more power but it's hard to feel in a 6500 pound car, but I’m sure you get a little more performance.

So at the least it should give you more mpg. I say put it in. no one else has any proof or experience against this so take that into consideration when your deciding.

I guess there are products on the market that do make false claims so I’ll retract that part of my statement.

I say If you havent actually bought one, installed it, and had FIRST HAND experience, its hard to make a judgement on this.

Bajaracer! was your dad H2 a diesel? I dont see it helping a diesel if it was to do what it says. (no fuel to swirl and atominize). Id like to try and make my own see what happens....

Careless: I just said that it is a FACT that my hummer h2 is getting better gas mileage because of this contraption.

not about to get into a pissing match, but with a huge car like a hummer, it's hard to tell what's making the difference. the roads could have been hot and stick on one day and causing a lot of rolling resistance, and dry and cool on another day, causing less resistance.

that tornado thing did little to nothing.

but.... if u wanna spend ur money on useless stuff like that... go right ahead.