HybridZ

ford 4.6 dual overhead cam swap

gtorick

Hi guys I am new to this forum. I am going to buy a velo rossa kit with donor car and I am thinking about putting a ford 4.6 dual overhead cam engine in it. Has anyone done this swap. I went to a local junk yard and messured one and it will fit. but the thermo stat housing is in a strange spot. It sticks out on the bottom left. It might cause a problem. Dose anyone know about that. I like this engine because it is ferrari like.

There are images a ways back in this forum from a guy who did a 4.6L 32 valve swap into a 240z. It appeared to clear about about an inch on each side of the engine, extremely tight. Might want to peruse a while back. If I remember correctly his member name was "PNY" something.

Ok I will do a search thanks. Do you know anything about Rebelo Racing? I talked to a guy there named Dave he really seemed to know what he was talking about. One of there engines would be another opion.

Apparently they make pretty powerful engines. They can build you a Ford if you like also... I believe they specialize in the Datsun stuff though. I would advice choosing what you want before hand (obviously) simply because an L series and a Ford V8 are two completely different motors.

Well I go back and forth on this engine descion. A Rebello z engine sounds good. he says he can deliver a turn key engine 3l with 300hp and around the same amount of torque. The z engine would be a drop it in and go. the v8 swap would be alot more work.

Apparently they make pretty powerful engines. They can build you a Ford if you like also... I believe they specialize in the Datsun stuff though. I would advice choosing what you want before hand (obviously) simply because an L series and a Ford V8 are two completely different motors.
Is this it? http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112543

Rather convenient that you make this thread, as I was thinking about doing such a swap just a day ago. I'll be following this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Robello might be able to make you a 300hp/300lbs motor but that power band won't be all that large, and the motor will be near it's limits. Pretty much any ford V8 can make 300hp, and will have 350+ torque in most cases, and be very reliable with plenty of room for improvement if maintained.

As stated before, they're completely different beasts. If you build a 4.6 mod motor to the same torque/power curve as a 300hp L series it'd have nearly 500hp naturally aspirated.

I've heard nothing but good things about robello if you do decide to go with a L series though.

I spoke with dave at Rebello and he told me that the 3 liter engine has a nice flat torque curve. I don't like the sound of a ohv v8 in a ferrari replica. It has to be a dohc v8 or even a v12. After starting this thread I read other threads about BMW v12 's. I am going to look in to that as well. I am not worried about more than 300 hp the torque at about the same. In a 2500lbs car that is plenty of juice. I want it to sound throaty (sp). And I want it to look good. I would like to do something like Chelle's car. When I get closer to that point I will contact her and ask some questions She really seems to know her stuff. And her car is beautiful . Thanks, Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided not to buy Brads velo rossa kit. I am not ready yet and I don't want to make him wait for me to finish my amc amx. So he has relisted his kit on portiand craiglist. He has it listed for $5450. That includes the Kit a 75 280 donor car partialy disembled and a 4 bolt main 350 also the chasiss renforcement kit. Very good deal. He is a really nice guy, and easy do talk to so if you know anybody that want to build a velo rossa please pass on the info. Thanks, Rick