HybridZ

Speaker and Amp Question

Derek

I have these speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8208441&st=6x9+speaker&lp=13&type=product&cp=2&id=1165610937916

Will this amp power them ok?

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=4593

It's a 2 channel 150w amp. I'm not expecting awesome sound and my hearing's about shot anyways. I'll be using the line out from a carputer I'm putting together so I won't be using a head unit.

If this isn't the right amp can someone make a recommendation.

Thanks

Derek

It should be ok, if you're using it to only amplify the volume. I would be more concerned about the sound car you will be running. Some cards don't take too kindly to ac to dc 12v too well, even thought the actual computer is fine. You might get some crazy artifacts or feedback coming from the sound card, like when the HD spins and other things like that.

I had one that made noise when I moved the mouse.

Another thing, crap in crap out. The better source, the better the sound.

That is not a 150 w amp, probably no more than about 20 watts.

The power would be compared to that of an internal amp in a standard car deck.

If I was looking to do something similar I would look at some of the smaller amps from some of the name brand companies, Pioneer, Clarion, JL audio, etc. Somewhere in the 50 to 75 watt per channel amp area, and that would give plenty of head room, that will keep those transiant peaks clean, even at higher volume, when the amp is set properly.

I also agree that you may get some additional noises, but the Carputer from what I've read tends to be fairly clean, the only way to know here will be to try it.

That is not a 150 w amp, probably no more than about 20 watts.

The power would be compared to that of an internal amp in a standard car deck.

If I was looking to do something similar I would look at some of the smaller amps from some of the name brand companies, Pioneer, Clarion, JL audio, etc. Somewhere in the 50 to 75 watt per channel amp area, and that would give plenty of head room, that will keep those transiant peaks clean, even at higher volume, when the amp is set properly.

I also agree that you may get some additional noises, but the Carputer from what I've read tends to be fairly clean, the only way to know here will be to try it.

No one sells 50- 75 watt amps anymore. They always try to sell the bigger/better units. Thats how much you would get just from any head unit now a days.

Why not just buy a head unit and run the computer through the inputs?

The touch screen is going where the head unit would normally mount.

No one sells 50- 75 watt amps anymore. They always try to sell the bigger/better units. Thats how much you would get just from any head unit now a days.

So from what I gather there really no truth in advertising on amplifier output.

I guess I'll keep looking around .

Thanks

Derek

Wrong, just about every amplifier company out there makes and sells 50 to 75 watt per channel amplifiers.

You need to read a little more about those built in amps in the decks. The 50W rating is very exagerated. True RMS peak at a reasonable amount of THD is closer to 10 to 12W.

Six_Shooter is definitely correct on this one. Take apart a big 1000w junk amp and you'll see half of it is just the shell. That little amp would be lucky to steadily push 20w. All of the good brands still have lower power amps, because with them, what they claim is much more accurate.