HybridZ

Drifting set-up

Hey everybody. I have a later 260Z that I plan on making into a drift car. I want to put a RB26DETT into it but I read some articles on wieght distribution here that made me think that an SR20DET swap or a turboed KA24DE swap would be better because it keeps more wieght between the front and rear axles (or whatever that term was) for better handling. Would that be the same for a drift car where you want maximum traction at the front tires as possible? What do the people here think would be the best engine for drifting from those three?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats very true, im not trying to be a jerk but if youv got the budget for an RB26 youd be better off starting with something like and SX for drifting IMO.

Im not saying its blasphamy to drift an S30 or anything, I watch drifting and Id be stoked a see an earlyer Z holding it down in a drift event.

I never was interested in drifting until I got my first RWD car (1990 Mustang LX 5.0) and took it sideways. I've always lusted after the S30 and when I finally got one that's what I wanted to do with it. It's not that I have the budget to get the RB swap done immediately. I was going to sell the Mustang to buy the engine and then probably spend a few years fabbing everything up to fit it in. I only wanted the RB for the infamous name and horsepower, but I figure since I want to drift it I won't need that much horsepower and if it can handle better with the SR or KA then I would much rather do that. Plus, here's a video that has a 240Z drifting http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Amazing-drift-action-in_73220.htm

I was going to try to find the R200 from a Q45 at a junkyard and swap that in with the parts from Arizona Z. That should be strong enough. I'm going to stiffen the chassis and and a roll cage to it when I bring it to my Chassis Fabrication class. Would the SR be better than the KA from a wieght distribution standpoint? Wouldn't having the heavier iron block behind the front wheels help compensate for the extra wieght of the intercooler and piping that would be in front of the front wheels? I'm asking because I don't know for sure and just thinking out loud.

You'll be putting a hell of a lot of stress on the entire rear end, halfshafts, diff, suspension, and even the wheel studs. Then also to keep your car sideways, you'll have to hold the engine at a higher RPM for a prolonged period of time with a big risk of revving it up too high when you're first learning to drift your car.

Granted, AutoXing and Drag racing also put a lot of stress on a motor, but most of that stress is going to be front to back, and some side to side shear, but cars werent exactly designed to be sliding sideways. When you put your car sideways it's going to create different shearing stress than the car is used to, or was designed to handle.

You can build your car to perform better as a drift car by upgrading to stronger parts, but understand, Drifters break stuff frequently.

Then again, so do drag racers and autocrossers.

I have no problems with drifting, I just have a problem with it can cost.

If you want to drift, more power to you, but I hope you've got a good source of income.

I never was interested in drifting until I got my first RWD car (1990 Mustang LX 5.0) and took it sideways. I've always lusted after the S30 and when I finally got one that's what I wanted to do with it. It's not that I have the budget to get the RB swap done immediately. I was going to sell the Mustang to buy the engine and then probably spend a few years fabbing everything up to fit it in. I only wanted the RB for the infamous name and horsepower, but I figure since I want to drift it I won't need that much horsepower and if it can handle better with the SR or KA then I would much rather do that. Plus, here's a video that has a 240Z drifting http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Amazing-drift-action-in_73220.htm

He is here on this site. A search for outbreak drift ought to turn it up. He has some posts on suspension set up.

I am aware of how parts will have to be replaced/rebuilt frequently, that's why I have a second car to drive around while the Z will be getting repaired, I don't have the money to repair it instantly but I have the patience to save up the money over a period of time.

Save money on the swap and don't do the rb26, instead use all the cash on suspension. One of my good friends has his D1 license and is a NOPI driver does most of his events with 10" tires and a stock sr with only a gt28. A guy here in town drifts a 280 with a sb 350. I don't know much about his suspension but the torque from the simple v8 throws it sideways.

Like I said (I'm sure you already know this) suspension setup in the first priority when it comes to competition drifting.

Suspension and brakes, I know. I have plans for those too. I don't really have any questions for suspension or brakes, I just had a article of wieght distribution change my mind on what engine I want and wanted other's input to help me decide.

• Administrators
You'll be putting a hell of a lot of stress on the entire rear end, halfshafts, diff, suspension, and even the wheel studs. Then also to keep your car sideways, you'll have to hold the engine at a higher RPM for a prolonged period of time with a big risk of revving it up too high when you're first learning to drift your car.

Granted, AutoXing and Drag racing also put a lot of stress on a motor, but most of that stress is going to be front to back, and some side to side shear, but cars werent exactly designed to be sliding sideways. When you put your car sideways it's going to create different shearing stress than the car is used to, or was designed to handle.

You can build your car to perform better as a drift car by upgrading to stronger parts, but understand, Drifters break stuff frequently.

Then again, so do drag racers and autocrossers.

I have no problems with drifting, I just have a problem with it can cost.

If you want to drift, more power to you, but I hope you've got a good source of income.

Are you suggesting drifting imposes more lateral stress than autocrossing? Surely not.

I would think drifting would put LESS lateral stress than autocrossing, since the cars are sliding instead of purely gripping.

i'm going to have to put my money on that too.

but i'd like to see a stiffer than stock s30 suspension. rolling over is something i've seen at enough events.

and i photograph them.

Back to your original question, I don't know why you didn't consider the L28ET.

Cheap, lots of torque, reliable, and if you mount the engine and drivetrain further back and down good weight distribution.

On top of that plenty of info on the L sereis here on hybridZ.

Well...I've thought about the L28ET but I just fell in love with DOHC engines and I really like how the SR20DET looks in the S30 egine bay. I guess I'm one of those that like to mix old school with new school, putting newer engines in classic cars.