HybridZ

another 240sx dash install in a 280z

bryan01

Looks good but i was curious about the defrost function. Im wanting to swap in the whole dash with the heater/A/c intact. i havent seen anybody do that one yet. Any thoughts?

i've got the defrost ducting for under the dash, but i would have to cut slots for it in the dash to relocate it appropriately. i had to remove a lot of the dash to allow it to fit the curvature of the 280z window. my car doesn't have heat or a/c, i didnt think about defrost too much but you bring up a good point, i have the fan for the 240sx as well, and could just wire it up with the ducting i already have ... it's a work in progress

I am going to get this heater from summit racing it is much smaller and lighter http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D991102&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I think its a good price makes it simple.

ha .. .you're right, that's a HELL of a lot smaller than the unit i got with the 240 dash. it looks like it'd be easy to work with, and once i am actually driving my car around i might be inclined to add that to my install (esp when it starts to get cold) ...

With the dash at such a vertical angle I wonder how the center console matches to its original points. I have a bit of a gap in mine but was a compromise to lessen the gap between the dash and lower windshield area.

i mocked up the center console and the radio bezzle and it went together pretty well, i'm going to take out some material from the underside in the rear of the console so that it seats better with the trans tunnel, and that will also angle it to match the dash line. just by sitting the console on the trans tunnel and lining up the upper bolt locations where it meets the main dash, the lower connects were less than 1/2" off, so with trimming of the rear to rotate it down it'll line up great ... i'm more worried about the e-brake. i havent looked into "flipping" it to the driver side, but i'm assuming i can do that with relative ease (any tips?). it looks to line up toward the rear of the slot in the new console (but it's going to be tight), and i'll take pics later this week.

wait so what is the benefit of swaping your dash for this one?

my old dash was completely destroyed by 35 years of sun tanning. it was either buy a new 280z dash, buy a 280z dash cap, or try something new. i'm all about trying something new ... especially when the main dash only cost me 50$ locally.

Are you going to re-use the 240sx guage cluster or go full aftermarket metering? I make a CF piece that fills in the 240sx space for mounting of whatever you want. Allows for a clean slate. I am working on fitting my new gauges and turn / high beam indicators now. Hopefully in a couple days it will be ready to toss back in.

Are you going to re-use the 240sx guage cluster or go full aftermarket metering? I make a CF piece that fills in the 240sx space for mounting of whatever you want. Allows for a clean slate. I am working on fitting my new gauges and turn / high beam indicators now. Hopefully in a couple days it will be ready to toss back in.

i've got an r33 cluster i'm going to use. the cluster doesn't fit into the 240sx dash as well as i would like, but i think i'm going to use it for now to get going. i'll let you know if i replace it w/ gauges ... (i may even end up switching over to a standard 240sx cluster, i haven't researched wiring those into the rb harness yet, but i'm sure it's been done)

i did some trimming of the rear of the console and it fits in nicely, mated with the bezel all hooked to the main dash. (i had to cut out the bottoms of the ash trays and a lil trimming in the rear). only problem left is the ebrake. i'd like to use a stock one (240sx or z) if possible w/o switching to the line lock ... from looking at it briefly i think it can be flipped with minor modification (we'll see if that holds true) ... but if i have to move it forward as well then that complicates things doubly over so i dont know, i'll look into it

• 4 weeks later...