HybridZ

Hood vent stud repair

Horatio

I think I may have figured out a way to install these things without using the studs. It'll requir manufacturing a plate with clips that would be welded to the hood. Would also require minor modification of the underside of the vent to create grooves/slots for the clips to grab onto. Plate could be welded directly to the hood, eliminating the nuts/bolt look altogether. Ultimately it would be a much cleaner look. I'll have to put myself in front of the hood/vents tonight and do a bit more imagining to see if i can get it to work. Seems simple enough though. vents should hold nice and tight and would still be removeable if absolutley necessary.

I have a good set. Sometime this summer I'll be switching to MSA vents. Make me an offer.

Keep me in mind when you get ready to sell them. I'm feeling adventurous and may try to remount the ones I have before I spend the money on new ones. Definitley PM me when you want to get rid of them though! Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Not the hood vent studs but I've had good success using regular JB Weld to fix plastic stuff. I glued one of my door lock buttons back together with it, its held up great for several months of use. Let it set up for a few days before applying any stress to it.

Not the hood vent studs but I've had good success using regular JB Weld to fix plastic stuff. I glued one of my door lock buttons back together with it, its held up great for several months of use. Let it set up for a few days before applying any stress to it.

I was thinking of using JB weld to build up some area on the backside of the vents and then drill, tap and insert studs.

I was thinking of using JB weld to build up some area on the backside of the vents and then drill, tap and insert studs.

That might work drilling sounds a little scary though. Another idea is the use JB to attach some nuts and then screw in the studs using loc-tite. But I don't think there is a lot of room for thickness there. I know every time I have taken the vents off my car I was very careful about not over tightening the nuts when I put them back on.