HybridZ

Need Tire reccomendations

Hi all... I have not posted here before but figured I'd get some good suggestions on new tires since I am changing my suspension. I have a '76Z stock that I am restoring and giving some upgrades.

I'm putting a set of Eibach Prog Rt springs, Illuminas, Poly bushings, and the MSA sway bars. I really don't want to modify the wheel wells for a large rim/tire... but am wondering if I am going to lose performance by staying in the '14/'15 rim range. I drive this car about 3k a year cause I cart kids around and also live in MN where it snows a bunch so the Z stays in the garage for the winter. I have no plans to race the car... I just want the look the the old Z with a few technology upgrades of the 21st century. I already pulled the stock clutch and upgraded to a CF1 clutch and plan on getting the engine modified to get me in the 200 hp range - but I am working on this piece now. Thoughts?

14" wheels stock, 15" available from the 280ZX will work also. Either one will give you decent performance at very affordable prices. You can spend some cash and upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels & tires but then you start complicating things and the cost of the tires starts going up.

many tires available. Kumhos are probably the least expensive all 'round tire that gives decent performance & treadlife. It all depends on what you are planning to do with the car. If you want to compete it regularly then you need to go with a street legal competition tire. Several companies make those. I'd suggest getting on www.tirerack.com and looking at options. Also search this site for threads on tires.

sweet thanks... I'm trying to stick to 14/15 in rims... it's the tires I'm more concerned about. I'm willing to pay a little more for a better tire - I bought it with Kumo's on it... so I was looking for other name brand options. I'll check out the site.

There are still PLENTY of high-quality tire models (I don't want to use the term "series" because that gets confusing when talking tires) that are available in 14 and 15 inch sizes.

One clue to help you in your search; when you go to tirerack.com, there is an option to "See other sizes this tire comes in." That is probably not exactly how its worded.. but its damn close. Click on that link, and find the outside diameter of the stock tire size (cannot recall right now.) Then, find the biggest tire you can that will fit on a 6" wide rim, that has that same outside diameter.

This keeps your performance tires spinning your speedometer the same as the stock tires, and also ensures stock clearance inside the fenders. IIRC, 15" tire size that matched stock OD was something like 195/60, maybe 205/60.

Also, Toyota Supras came with a four lug rim that looks like this: supra.jpg that measures 14" diameter, and 7" wide. That gives you the ability to put some more rubber underneath, and I do NOT think you need spacers with these wheels... If you do, then simple 1/2 inch plates behind the wheels suffice, no need for expensive adapters.

HTH

A 15 x 7 wheel with 225/50-15s is just about perfect for a 240Z. The only thing better is a 15 x 8 wheel with the same size tire. I'm very happy with the Sumitomo HTRZIII tire and am running a set as the street tires on my 350Z. The Hankook Ventus R-S2 also looks like a great high performance street tire. I saw a number of ST class cars running them at the last autocross.